Internet Alternatives

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Internet Alternatives

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 pm

I'd say about a year and a half ago my DSL modem started acting stupid. I called CenturyLink tech support (my ISP) and they had me run some tests on the modem based on ROM built-in utilities. They were able to determine that the modem had gone south. Since I wasn't leasing it from them (I bought my own years earlier) I had to buy another one. I plugged the new one in and all is well.

So the lesson to be learned is that these electronic thingies can wear out and stop functioning. We tend to think of mechanical thingies as being items that will break, not electronics, but that's just not the case.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Every so often I would go into CenturyLink to see if faster speeds were available at my house and it always said I was getting the fastest available at 1.5. With the notification that there would be big changes in my neighborhood on 8/5/14 I decided to look at my account this evening. Lo and behold it said that 5.0 was now available. Really? I don't have to wait until 8/6?

So I clicked the boxes for 5.0, accepted all the legal mumbo jumbo you have to accept and then got an email confirmation that on 7/24 I'd have the faster service.

Hallelujah! :D :D :D :D :D

I'm guessing here but I bet CenturyLink has to send a technician out to the DSLM box in my neighborhood to flip a switch or something so I can have the new service. You'd think they could do it at the office via an electronic relay but I guess not. All I know is in less than one week I'll finally have a semi-decent download speed. No more waiting for late evenings to watch a streaming Netflix movie because any earlier in the day the download is just too slow. Now I can watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 am

No more waiting for late evenings to watch a streaming Netflix movie because any earlier in the day the download is just too slow. Now I can watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it.
I've never watched during the day, but we have no problem with Netflix with our 1.5 DSL. In fact, with the Netflix speed turned down as low as it could go, instead of on Automatic, we were watching when our speed was less than half of that.
Of course, if you're watching HD movies, that's a different story.

Here's where you go to set the quality:
https://movies.netflix.com/HdToggle
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:57 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
No more waiting for late evenings to watch a streaming Netflix movie because any earlier in the day the download is just too slow. Now I can watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it.
I've never watched during the day, but we have no problem with Netflix with our 1.5 DSL. In fact, with the Netflix speed turned down as low as it could go, instead of on Automatic, we were watching when our speed was less than half of that.
Of course, if you're watching HD movies, that's a different story.

Here's where you go to set the quality:
https://movies.netflix.com/HdToggle
I had set the Netflix quality as low as possible but still had trouble during the high use periods of the day. It would take several minutes for a movie to start and then once or twice during a movie it would stop to update the cache before continuing. I found that if I would wait until after 8:00PM these problems would go away. And yes, if it was a SD movie the problems were lessened but some movies I want to watch are only available in HD.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 am

Our son in San Francisco just told me he gets 100 down and 20 up.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Update:
We are still getting line service from CenturyLink, a repair ticket open since 07/16/14. The line tech is now looking into reducing the 60Hz hum on our line (and all of the lines at Lake Dawn, I understand).
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 am

Bad news. I was just contacted by CenturyLink telling me that they've cancelled my order for the upgrade in speed. It seems that someone jumped the gun and allowed online upgrades before the new equipment is checked out. On 8/5 a new fiber optic line will be turned on and then they have to determine just how fast service can be. So until that's done no upgrades can be scheduled. Phooey!

:(
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

The line upgrade took place sometime yesterday and things are swell. I used to get 1.1-1.2 in the off hours and less at peak times. Since the change to fiber optic I'm getting 1.3+ regardless of the time of day. So I got a little speed boost and more consistent speed.

And now the good news. I accessed my account late last night and it said I qualified for an upgrade to 7.0. Yowee! I'll take it. I'm scheduled to go fast next Tuesday. The only negative was my current modem. It wasn't on the list of modems CenturyLink thinks can handle the faster speed. So I'll have to buy a new modem. That's OK.
---

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:24 pm

What is the increase in price? There is an article in the Seattle Times, today, about a boost in the Seattle area, by CenturyLink, and the increases in price seemed quite substantial.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:What is the increase in price? There is an article in the Seattle Times, today, about a boost in the Seattle area, by CenturyLink, and the increases in price seemed quite substantial.
This is the same question a couple of my neighbors who are also on CenturyLink asked me. It's hard to answer because of the various discounts I get for different packages, plus letting CenturyLink handle my DirecTV bill. All I can tell you is my net increase will be $5/month. That's not a burden at all.
---