Safari 6.1.1 bookmarks

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Safari 6.1.1 bookmarks

Post by anne murray » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 am

I am very frustrated with bookmarks in this version of Safari. We used to be able to give a name to a bookmark when we added it to our list. Now the only way I know to do that is through the Edit Bookmarks menu option. That's a cumbersome step. Is there an easier way?

I've read lots of dissatisfaction with with Safari 6.1.1.

Thanks.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Safari 6.1.1 bookmarks

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:59 am

I have Safari 7.0.1, but it shows a title field for a new bookmark using Bookmarks > Add Bookmark...

If you want to rename a bookmark or folder in the sidebar, click and hold on the name to select it.

If you want to edit a bookmark, control click on the bookmark and choose Edit Address.

Also, remember that keeping bookmarks in Safari (in the Bookmarks menu, on the Favorites Bar, in folders) is only one way to do it. You can also drag a favicon to the desktop and store the resulting .webloc file anywhere you like.
Attachments
bookmark.jpg
bookmark.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks, Steve. I see that if I use the "Add Bookmark" in the main menu that the window comes up. It used to come up simply b clicking on the + sign.

That helps a lot.

Anne

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 pm

You're right. Did the plus button work differently in the past? I've never used it. And I don't see any way to modify its behavior.

While there are many things you can do with bookmarklets, you can't duplicate the add bookmark command, because Safari forbids that for security reasons.

You can learn Command D or set up one of your F-keys to do that. None of these fixes is very good if your'e used to just clicking the plus.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:48 am

I did a little more research on this issue and found this Apple Discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23602108#23602108
(Ignore snarky comments.)

It appears that Apple changed the behavior of the plus button from Add Bookmark to Add to Reading List. I agree with some commenters in the discussion that a check box in preferences for setting the behavior of that button would be nice.

Here are two suggestions from that discussion:

1. Add the Share button to the toolbar and move it right next to the plus button. See first screenshot. (Control click the toolbar to customize it.)
2. Click and hold the plus button to get menu choices. See second screenshot.

But, if you read all the way down in that discussion, you'll find that you can set a preference for the behavior of the plus button exactly the way you want. Here's the trick: click and hold on the plus button, then press the option key. See third screenshot. Voila! (Or, as is more common in computer-geek speak, Wallah!)
Attachments
sharebutton.jpg
sharebutton.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
plus-button.jpg
plus-button.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
bestoption.jpg
bestoption.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Steve Jobs