E-mail & Bots

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

E-mail & Bots

Post by BarbJ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Question #1 My e-mail program has a box in the lower left corner that says "MAIL ACTIVITY". When I send an e-mail it indicates that 41 e-mails are being sent, even though I only am sending one e-mail to one person. I'm not sending attachments, just a simple e-mail. Why does it say I'm sending 41? Question #2 I'm on this forum alone today, except Google [Bot] and Bing [Bot] have both appeared as guests. What do they do?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: E-mail & Bots

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm

BarbJ wrote:Question #1 My e-mail program has a box in the lower left corner that says "MAIL ACTIVITY". When I send an e-mail it indicates that 41 e-mails are being sent, even though I only am sending one e-mail to one person. I'm not sending attachments, just a simple e-mail. Why does it say I'm sending 41? Question #2 I'm on this forum alone today, except Google [Bot] and Bing [Bot] have both appeared as guests. What do they do?
What e-mail app are you using? On what platform?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:37 pm

The bots are just collecting information so when someone googles a question, Google knows where to send you for an answer.

It's best to raise just one question per thread. If you have multiple questions start multiple threads.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 pm

I've not noticed this before but there are a lot of comments on Apple discussion boards.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23706361#23706361
This could just be a bug in Apple Mail and some suggest simply hiding the Mail Activity icon if it bothers you as it doesn't hurt anything. See the image below.

Click the Show Mail Activity icon (looks like an up arrow) at the bottom left Mail window to open the Mail Activity pane. To close the Mail Activity pane, click the Hide Mail Activity icon (looks like a down arrow).
Attachments
czxcvvxcxc.jpg
czxcvvxcxc.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by BarbJ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks for the input. It's the mail program that comes with the Mac. I quit the mail program, ran repair permissions and started it up again. Now when I send one e-mail "mail activity" says one e-mail is being sent.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:13 am

You can also open the Activity window here:
Mail > Window > Activity
or Command Option Zero

Some people have that window open all the time.

Note that it's entirely normal to see a lot of activity, too much for me to have it open all the time.
Attachments
mailact.jpg
mailact.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs