Google Earth Flood

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Google Earth Flood

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

Now that spring is just around the corner (knock on wood), here's a cool addition to Google Earth.

I have been casually studying a couple of flightless insects in the Hurricane Ridge area for a few summers, and wondered how they get around up there on those sky islands, and how closely related different populations were.
Wouldn't it be great, I thought, if I could stick an overlay on Google Earth and set it to a particular altitude. Well, you can do just that with Google Earth Flood.
Once installed, it shows up just like a location in the Google Earth sidebar. You set preferences by selecting Flood and hitting Command I (Get Info). You can turn the overlay off or on by checking or unchecking the checkbox in the sidebar.
Here's a screenshot showing Hurricane Ridge and environs, with the altitude of Flood set to 5,000 feet, 1,524 meters. You can see that even flightless insects that can't stand forest could migrate along the ridges quite well (if slowly). North is up. Ediz Hook is visible.

Flood gives you an interesting, and different, view of the Olympics.
Attachments
skyislands.jpg
skyislands.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 653 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs