What is an AirPrint printer?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

What is an AirPrint printer?

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:08 am

Can my iPad be configured to utilize the home printer on our home wifi network? We have a very nice Canon all-in-one, can it not be utilized by my new found favorite computer?

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: What is an AirPrint printer?

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am

Printopia works just fine for me.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:40 am

I need someone to check me on the facts here.... but isn't "AirPrint" a wireless capability built in to certain late model printers? In other words, your printer is either so equipped or it is not. And if it IS an AirPrint printer, then it should show up in a list of output devices on your iPad, right? Someone who has done this ought to chime in.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:50 am

Yes, AirPrint is a technology that allows wireless printing to "AirPrint-enabled" printers, such as most of the current HP models ... and like my new OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus from Costco. The printer actually receives the print job by e-mail.

However, if you don't have a newer AirPrint enabled printer, you can still wirelessly print to most older printers using a program like Printopia that allows printing from an iDevice by way of your desktop Mac.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 am

Another route is to enable printer sharing on a Mac on the network and send the job by WiFi to that Mac. I haven't had the need to do any of this for some time.

There are also newer portable printers that are much smaller than the usual desktop behemoths. That might be useful if you want a "downstairs" printer as well as an office printer.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Why thank you fella's!

My Canon MG5320 is a little over a year old but I do not know if it has AirPrint capabilities. Will check.

Stephen's suggestion of shared printer might work, if I can figure that out. Ray' s aftermarket approach is appreciated, too, and might be the best though, certainly more expensive option (though not "that" expensive ;o) aside from buying a new printer.

Thanks again.
Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Just to add one item to this thread for completeness:
AirPort Extreme can turn any external USB hard drive into a secure drive you can share across your Wi-Fi network. So all the documents, videos, photos, and other files instantly become available to anyone, Mac and PC users alike. You can even connect a printer and share it wirelessly.

On the back of AirPort Express is a USB port that’s made for your printer. Just plug it in and instantly it’s like having a printer in every room. And since AirPort Express works with Mac and PC, everyone in the house can take advantage of one centrally available printer. Wirelessly, of course.*
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 am

I solved the issue!

I contacted the Canon website and it gave me directions for loading firmware onto my existing printer, and "voila!" I can now Air Print.

Ta Da!

planedoc
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by planedoc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:28 am

I just got a canon all-in-one "AirPrint" enabled printer. A model mx922. It does print wirelessly from my iPad over the home network, but I don't have all the controls on the iPad there are on my iMac. For instance, I haven't discovered how to change the paper size and type from the iPad. It will print, but it will use whatever settings you used last time.
I will update this if I discover a way to adjust settings from the iPad
Craig

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 am

We have the Canon MX822, but have never set it up for wireless printing.
I also have an AirPort Extreme, and could presumably print wirelessly by plugging the Canon into that. There might be different settings available that way.
Steve Jobs