Pages vs Word -- And the winner is...

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Pages vs Word -- And the winner is...

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's an article directly comparing the current version of Pages with Word.

The writer is fair in saying that you wouldn't want to use Pages in a Word-dominated work environment, or if you have to send files back and forth a lot. But Apple is doing Pages the right way. It's not really finished yet, and Apple says as much.

Pages vs Word
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Pages vs Word -- And the winner is...

Post by brianyoung » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:10 am

That is an interesting comparison, and I quickly realized that I would not swap out Pages for Word, yet. Not having the ability to view facing pages is, by itself, enough to keep me from even trying. Anyone working on a text that is to be published in book form will want to be able to mirror margins, and look at not only facing pages, but also at both sides of what will be one page in the book.
If that much can be accomplished in Pages then I would be tempted to at least try.
I use Office for Mac 2011, which I think is a great program. But I am always afraid of what might comes next, if that version were to become so outdated that it could no longer be useful.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 pm

I don't think Pages is meant for professional layout, Indesign would be better for that. If you mean being able to view pages two up in Pages, go to the bottom left corner and click on magnification percent and click "Two Up"
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:57 am

Two Up doesn't seem to be available in Pages 5.

If you're happy with Word, why switch? But if you really want to control layout for paper book production, InDesign would be far better. Unfortunately, Adobe only sells it by subscription now. That means that once you make a book, you'll have to subscribe forever, or at least resubscribe in the future and hope there's no version collision.

There are other page-layout apps you might try.

iBooks Author is free and shows facing pages or opposite sides of a single page. It's really designed for multimedia books, though.

There are other page-layout apps you might try. Do a google search for "Mac Page Layout Software."

One is Scribus, which is open source and free: http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

If your goal is a printed book, you'd want to find out ahead of time what the printer wants.

And, of course, I should have added that you can compose text and even do some layout in any app you like, then import to a page-layout app for final tweaks and to produce the pdf to send to a printer.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for checking Steve, I have Pages 08 v.3.0.3, late adopter. I don't use Pages, for any page layout I use Indesign CS5.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Word 2011 in Office for Mac is a great program, and I will continue to use it as long as possible. If it ever gets to the point where it cannot be used, and I have to use one of the newer versions of Word, then I will think again.
I have made and published three books using Word and Adobe Acrobat, and a fourth is almost finished. I do not feel that I need Indesign, or another expensive program. I do not do anything too involved, just text and photos. My books are printed by Lightning Source, on demand digital printing. They have very strict and demanding technical requirements, but it has not been a problem.
I do outsource the covers, which are in color. They supply a cover template in either Indesign or QuarkXPress, and that gets printed to PDF. The Word document for the inside matter also gets printed to PDF. Word seems to do a very good job at this. Adobe Acrobat is also a great program. It can look suspiciously simple at first, but it is very deep, with many layers. Word too can be demanding, but once the basics are mastered it is a great program.
Remember typewriters? We are so fortunate!

www.newnordicpress.com