Message cut

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Chuck Howerton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Message cut

Post by Chuck Howerton » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 pm

After spending half an hour typing in a new topic message, I was cut off and the message was apparently lost as the system returned to the first page of the topic. What gives?

Chuck Howserton

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Message cut

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 am

I can't explain what happened, but here's a possible way to recover.

In Safari, at least, you can use your Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad and swipe the page to the right or left.

For example, if I swipe this page to the right, I can look at the previous page in the SMUG forum. Then a swipe left returns me to this page, with all my text still there.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Chuck Howerton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chuck Howerton » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am

Thank you Stephen,

It did not seem to be that simple. I had "bricked" my iPad2 while trying to upgrade to IOS7. The message was a detailed explanation of what I did to accomplish that and a plea for help. After I lost the post I was working on, I wandered the Internet looking for help and found several suggestions. Long story short, the suggestions worked, and it is now unbricked and running IOS7.

Thanks for being there,

Chuck Howerton

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:24 am

Chuck Howerton wrote:After spending half an hour typing in a new topic message, I was cut off and the message was apparently lost as the system returned to the first page of the topic. What gives?

Chuck Howserton
Many websites including forums and financial institutions have a "time out" feature which means if you don't do something within the allotted time the website assumes you've wandered away and drops you. Typing a question or a response does no constitute doing something. You have to use a SEND button or change pages. If you're timed out you have to start over. This is most common with banking sites. If you don't do something within the allotted time you're logged off. That obviously is a security issue.

Does the SMUG Forum have a "time out" feature built into its software? I don't know. Perhaps our Webmaster knows. Ray?

By the way, if you're going to post a long question or response and aren't a speedy typist you can always compose the entry in a word processor and then copy/paste to the SMUG Forum.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Does the SMUG Forum have a "time out" feature built into its software? I don't know. Perhaps our Webmaster knows. Ray?
The Forum software we use (phpBB) does have a setting to limit the time used to edit a post and to delete a new post ... but both of those "features" are disabled in our configuration.

Below are the only other timed settings. So, just how long is 604800 seconds?

The software will log you out after that length of time, and I do not believe that "feature" can be totally disabled.

I suppose that Chuck may have hit that time limit and then gotten bumped off ... assuming that he does not log out after each session.

;)
Attachments
Forum Settings.jpg
Forum Settings.jpg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Well I just lost a message as well.... I was typing up a post for the "Buy Sell Trade" forum and needed to go do something else. I clicked the button to "Save As Draft" and received a pop-up message saying that "only the title and text" would be saved (ostensibly not attached images). Returning to find the draft one hour later ... I cannot find it. Unless it's somewhere well hidden?? Can someone suggest where such a Draft might be?

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am

JerryFreilich wrote:Well I just lost a message as well.... I was typing up a post for the "Buy Sell Trade" forum and needed to go do something else. I clicked the button to "Save As Draft" and received a pop-up message saying that "only the title and text" would be saved (ostensibly not attached images). Returning to find the draft one hour later ... I cannot find it. Unless it's somewhere well hidden?? Can someone suggest where such a Draft might be?
Jerry,
The "Load Draft" button is located right next to the "Save Draft" button. (see first screenshot)
So, to used a saved draft, start by using the normal "Post a reply" button, click "Load Draft", and lastly click on the name of draft that you want. (second screenshot)

But you are correct. I discovered that any attached files will have to be re-attached before clicking "Submit".

I also discovered that once a draft is used to post a reply, it is automatically deleted from your saved drafts. Cool.
;)
Attachments
Load Draft.jpg
Load Draft.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Load Draft 2.jpg
Load Draft 2.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 am

Hmm..... Thanks very much for this piece of detective work, Ray. So in other words, the BBS hides the draft from any normal list or location but nonetheless stores it so that it can later be reloaded. Interesting... if not particularly intuitive. Another weirdness is that, according to your screen shot, I should be able to see, edit, and manage my drafts in the User Control Panel. But I went to the User Control Panel and saw no such list or capability. Kind of a software-rough-edge?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 1.02.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 1.02.27 PM.jpg (73.59 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Keep in mind that phpBB is open-source software, with all the benefits and faults of open-source software.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs