How to use 12 v DC to charge an iPad in a RV

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

How to use 12 v DC to charge an iPad in a RV

Post by riverkeeper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:02 pm

When not hooked to an AC generator or AC shore power most current use on an RV is 12v DC directly. OR inverted from the 12v battery back to AC by a inverter.... That power charges the Pad. That process from generator to battery (AC TO DC) to inverter(DC TO AC) to the Pad's power source which (you guessed it) goes back from AC TO DC to charge my babies.

That' s less than efficient, clumbsey and disturbs my sense of the proper order of the Universe.

I would like to cut out one of the middlemen, specifically the bulky inverter (DC .. AC). IOW modify the ambient RV 12v current available from many of the RV receptacles via a simple small light effortless magic gizmo on a wire so the Pad can use it as is .... Without more conversions.

The cigarette receptacle does it at 9 v in the tow vehicle, And slowly and my RV is a trailer with no cigarettes much less 9 v lighter.

Our Pad used to be called the 'new', now known as the '3', requires more lektrik than previous models to fill it.

Amps and watts are in the game too but only vaguely recall the Pad3 will charge at 2 amps.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: How to use 12 v DC to charge an iPad in a RV

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm not sure what you're after here, but this is what we have in our car to charge an iPad, or an iPhone, or both at the same time. You want a 10 watt charger for an iPad.

Belkin Car Charger

Note that the charger goes from car to USB. It's only the cord that is Lightning. If you have older devices with the 30-pin adapter, you just need the proper cord. All Apple devices that need less than 10 watts will be able to cope.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Would like to plug the Pads directly in to the 12 v DC recepticals in the trailer so that DC current remains DC but goes thru whatever other adjustments are necessary to be acceptable to the IPad for charging and general use.

Without the electricity having to go thru even more AC.DC conversions. I suspect the RV 12 v DC and amperage are not far off as it comes out and a simple low tech solution exists. The guy at PT or RV geeks might know.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:25 am

I'm sure you need a converter. The one I mentioned, and similar single-output chargers are not much bigger than an old-fashioned car cigarette lighter. I suspect the electronics are much more efficient than in the past.
These devices are not converting DC to house current, then to USB 5v 10w.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs