Quicken for Mac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
mrynas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quicken for Mac

Post by mrynas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 pm

What is the Mac Standard for financial sw - similar to what Quicken is the PC.

I have heard that the Mac 2007 version of Quicken is not as robust as the 2013 PC version.

Ideas?

opaug
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Quicken for Mac

Post by opaug » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I have recently started using Outright, it is extremely easy to use with tax preparation tools as well. http://outright.com/, since it is a web application you don't have to worry about computer crashes or operating system compatibility.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 pm

mrynas wrote:What is the Mac Standard for financial sw - similar to what Quicken is the PC.

I have heard that the Mac 2007 version of Quicken is not as robust as the 2013 PC version.

Ideas?
Quicken 2007 is just barely supported, and only because of a lot of user feedback.

The replacement is Quicken Essentials.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Well actually... there is a Lion and Mountain Lion compatible version of Quicken 7 available for $15 from their website here:http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/ ... 83769.html.

Quicken Essentials was initially floated as the replacement for the original Quicken. But it received such overwhelming scorn that, very belatedly, Intuit created the Lion compatible version of their older Quicken 7. I've used Quicken for many years and many versions. The software for the Mac has NEVER been equal to the Windoze version. But if you've used the older Quicken for a long time, this current Quicken 7 for Lion will work fine for you. The company is INFURIATING. Their service is lower than poor... it's worse than pathetic... It's basically non-existent. For this reason, the Mac websites have been full of people asking for alternatives and long discussions about those possible alternatives. I'll leave that to others.

If I can help in any other way... post questions here.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Quicken Essentials has worked well for us, with none of the craziness that plagued Quicken 2007, even before it was updated.
It's stable, it's readable on screen, and, for us, at least, it has never suddenly presented wildly wrong numbers.
But we only use it as a checkbook application. No stocks, etc.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I just want to add my voice to the mix: I use Quicken Essentials and am happy with it. Works well for everything I need it to do, but then my needs are pretty basic. I was unhappy initially that I'd have to change from Quicken which I have used for many years, but once I got over my irritation and was willing to explore Quicken Essentials I adapted pretty quickly and completely. I wouldn't go back now if I could.