unwanted sideways scrolling in excel

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

unwanted sideways scrolling in excel

Post by brianyoung » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Only rarely do I use excel on my macbook. My most often used app is Word (Office for mac 2011). But I do occasionally use excel. I have always experienced some very annoying sideways scrolling, and today it was so bad that I could not continue to use the program. Only with the utmost care in using the magic mouse was it possible to scroll vertically and not have the entire screen scroll out of sight. I Googled this problem, and found out that I was not alone. There were many suggestions, and most of them were useless. This cannot be adjusted for in the standard mouse "department" under preferences.
I finally downloaded MagicPrefs, a free download. It took a bit of messing about to get it installed, but that was probably my fault. But it works, and that is an incredible relief.
Once installed, you open the MagicPrefs dialog box, and uncheck BOTH diagonal AND horizontal scrolling for one and two fingers. This has enabled me to do a job that I was just about ready to give up on.
I wonder if others have experienced this?
Brian