Very sick MacBook

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Very sick MacBook

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:14 pm

If you don't want to make a trip to Tacoma and a possible second trip to pick it up, call AppleCare. As I understand it, AppleCare will send you a shipping box for the MacBook which has a prepaid shipping label on it. You send it to Apple for repair and then Apple ships it back to you at no additional cost. At least this is how things worked way back when I had a white plastic Macbook.

If you go to Tacoma via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge please say "Hi!" to Rusty for me when you're about halfway across.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Sounds like a bad charger or your logic board needs replacing. Expect it to be gone for a little over a week.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm

My experience with the Tacoma Apple store was very good. I made a genius bar appointment and took my MacBook Pro in because I wanted to hear the diagnosis and cost of the fix before committing to the repair (it was out of Apple Care coverage time). Once we agreed upon the repair, I opted for the flat rate Genius bar repair, I made arrangements for them to ship my repaired computer to my house (no extra charge). My repaired MBP was delivered to my house Tue morning by Fed Ex. My genius bar appointment had been at 1:30 PM on the previous Saturday (less than 3 days total elapsed time). Everything is working fine.

The video on my logic board was kaput (black screen but I could access the computer via file/screen sharing which had already been enabled before it went black. They replaced the complete logic board.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:42 am

I think more repairs are being done in Apple Stores, at least with certain models. Even some iPhone repairs can be done in the store.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 am

Actually the repair was done in Texas. According to the cost quote, it cost approx. $150 more to repair it at the store than to ship it to a repair center. Apparently all "Genius Bar Flat Rate" repairs are done at off-site repair centers. That is why I was surprised by the rapid turn-around in how fast the repair was accomplished and shipped back to me.

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am

My MacBook Air is healthy after a visit to the Genius Bar in Tacoma and a trip to Tennessee. Here is the info I was able to get about its problems:

1. Tacoma could not run diagnostics without the ability to restart the computer. The nonfunctioning power button was addressed there by replacing the entire bottom case. Diagnostics then indicated that the heat sink connected to the logic board was causing the fan to not spin at the right speed, and the computer was not charging correctly. Tacoma recommended sending the computer to its service center in Tennessee.

2. The Tennessee service center replaced the following parts with very little diagnostic information.

a. Logic Board, which caused keyboard/trackpad issues
b. Trackpad, because trackpad click was not recognized
c. IPD Cable, which had mechanical/cosmetic damage
d. Left I/O Cable, which had mechanical/cosmetic damage

All was done under warranty. The cost was four lunches and 4 mochas from two trips to Tacoma with my spouse - and a great deal of fatigue. The bonus was a visit to the Museum of Glass and an ongoing appreciation for the community in which we live.