Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.

Apple ID Rescue e-mail address

Postby Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 am

Here's a topic that's been discussed on Macintouch and is potentially confusing.

Let's say for some reason Apple shuts down your Apple ID. Usually this is because of repeated attempts to sign in with the right Apple ID (usually your Apple e-mail address) but a wrong password. (More on this below.)

Apple sends you an e-mail with a link to reset your password. But it is sent to your Apple e-mail address. Which no longer functions.

So there's a "rescue" e-mail address you should always have set up that's different from your Apple e-mail.

Because there's a section in Manage my Apple ID that allows you to enter alternate e-mail addresses, there's some confusion. I answered this question on Macintouch a day or so back, and here's another answer to a wrong assumption:

Bruce Klutchko
M Young wrote,
"Only you can't add a rescue email address directly from the My Apple ID site."
The Rescue email address is not added from the option to add email addresses, but from the option below "Password and security." That is where, after answering security questions, you'll be able to add or change the Rescue email address.

Once we had our Apple ID shut down by Apple. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found that one of the four or five devices accessing that Apple ID had been left with an outdated password. Every time it tried to sign in, it generated one more wrong-password warning.
So make sure if you change your Apple ID password that you carefully change it on any device that might sign in.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple ID Rescue e-mail address

Postby Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 am

Stephen,
I read this post and I want to be clear on something. Please answer this:
If I change my APPLE ID password only (NOT user ID name), can I just do that in one central place and not be creating any problems for myself?

When I originally set up my Apple user ID, I didn't think as clearly as I would now have liked - and I'd like to change the password.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Postby Stephen Hart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 pm

You can change the password for a single Apple ID. You would do that in the same area mentioned above, Password and Security. You'll have to answer your extra security questions to get into that area. I recommend that you take a screenshot of the security questions and answers or double check them and keep the answers somewhere secure. It's easy to forget those.

However, that will only change the password at Apple HQ. You have to manually enter the new password on every iPod, iPhone iPad and Mac that logs into that Apple ID. (It's logical that those could not change by themselves.) You might also have to change the password in iTunes separately from in System Preferences. If any of those is left unchanged, you won't be able to log in (including automatically, for example, syncing Calendars or Contacts). And too many failed attempts to log in (including automatically) will lock your Apple ID.

This could get complicated if you use more than one Apple ID, of course.

Maybe Richard Serkes could chime in on how 1 Password interacts with Apple IDs, if at all.
Steve Jobs
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Postby Richard Serkes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Maybe Richard Serkes could chime in on how 1 Password interacts with Apple IDs, if at all.

I've never tried using 1Password for my AppleID. I have just the one AppleID and I can remember the password. But theoretically, 1Password should work. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Postby Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Many thanks to both of you, Stephen and Richard :)
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Postby Stephen Hart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 am

An added note here, also gleaned from Macintouch:

For some older Apple IDs that haven't been used for purchases in a long time, you won't have security questions, and therefore can't get to the Password and Security page.

The simple fix is to use that Apple ID to buy something from the iTunes Store. That procedure will force you to the security page and fix the above problem with Manage My Apple ID.

You do need the correct Apple ID name and password for this. As far as I know, there isn't any way to recover from a situation where you've forgotten the password, don't have that Apple ID's e-mail address set up and don't have a valid rescue e-mail for that Apple ID, except calling Apple. And because some fun-loving wags idiots hacked a computer journalist's Apple account last year by convincing someone at Apple Care on the phone to change his password, Apple is very leery of phone "help" with Apple IDs.
Steve Jobs
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Postby JerryFreilich » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Another thing you can do in cases like this is call the Apple help line where a patient and nice (American) person will help you unravel all this. I've done it for myself once and for someone I was helping on another occasion. You just have to navigate through the Apple Help phone menus and keep asking for human assistance. They will get to you... and they can see all the devices and unravel these matters when they get too convoluted.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Forum Statistics