Samsung ML-2950 Wireless Printer

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Samsung ML-2950 Wireless Printer

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Jay Cline wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:You don't have to connect a wireless printer to an Ethernet hub. My wireless printer is "freestanding" and can be accessed from any Apple device in the house.
Cool beans. How far away from your printer can you be and still print?
The answer is anywhere in the house you get WiFi reception. I have an AirPort Extreme at one end of the house and an Airport Express at the other. That covers all the downstairs as well as the upstairs. My wife has been in bed at night, found a coupon online and wirelessly sent it to the printer in my office to be retrieved the next morning.

And isn't it a sad state of affairs that she'd rather use her iPad to serf for coupons while in bed than... Oh well.

:cry:
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 pm

Out of curiosity I went to the Samsung website and read a little about the ML 2950. I found the specs on it to be confusing. It can definitely be set up as a networked printer by connecting it to your router via an Ethernet cable, but I didn't see anything about it being wireless. However, it also says you can send print jobs to it from handheld devices like smartphones which indicates it is wireless. Hmmmmmmm.

When I Googled "Samsung ml 2950 wireless" I found a post on a different forum that said you had to press a "wireless button" on the printer's console to turn on the wireless feature. Does your printer have such a button?
---

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 am

First Jay: I bought this printer so that multiple MACs can print wirelessly (my daughter and granddaughter need B&W printing too). If I can't get it to work within a certain range, this won't be the printer for me.

Richard: Thanks for your assistance. I have done what you said. When I double click the ML-2950 icon in the list of printers, yes, another window opens. It's actually the window I view to see the progress of printing (or the non-progress in this case). There are two small icons showing (back to back), but they are graphically "married" -- not separate icons that I can select, and it doesn't show an "E" on either of them. I have selected the ML-2950 as my default and will leave it unless I need to print to the Epson for color. I still can't get it to print wirelessly. Any other ideas? Thanks a bunch.

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 am

Richard, the model is actually ML-2950dw, which is the wireless version. I, too, have an Airport Extreme and can access wireless from a cottage outback (away from my house), so me thinks I should be able to access the wireless from any room in the house. I use my Kindle from a bedroom that's the furthest location within the house and that works too. Now I have to get this wireless issue figured out.
I installed the User Guide but can't find where it installed. I chose to install it on my Mac HD, but for the life of me, I can't locate it. On the installation CD, I used the Mac Installer / Manual Installer and it went through the install process. Where is it?

There is a "User Guide and Information" folder on the HD, but no Samsung User Guide in that folder. I've searched "User Guide" and nothing comes up.

As an alternate on the Samsung Installation CD, there is a folder titled MANUAL. Within it, if I choose HTM files they log to the web and provide info. But, I can't find wireless information. Argh. Any other tips?

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 am

I'm continuing to search and have found a user manual on the Samsung website. I will wait until 9:00 and see if their tech support can give me direction. I sooooo appreciate you taking the time to help me. You guys are the greatest! Thanks.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 am

Printers differ, but you may have a utility application that installed with the printer. That might be required to set up the printer for wireless. Alternatively, you might access the printer by way of a web-site like interface.
In any case, you probably need to explicitly set the printer up to work wirelessly.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 am

rmarcus wrote:I'm continuing to search and have found a user manual on the Samsung website. I will wait until 9:00 and see if their tech support can give me direction. I sooooo appreciate you taking the time to help me. You guys are the greatest! Thanks.
This was going to be my next suggestion but you beat me to it. Just call Samsung's tech support. They may be able to talk you through it over the phone.
---

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:33 pm

As followup...Samsung said two things needed to be done. First they suspected that the printer was "roaming" for an IP address and that it ended up offline because of that. So, we put it in static mode. The second thing is that the tech guy had me create TWO printer options -- one for using the USB cable and one for wireless. Using one printer in the printer list fails, so creating to separate printers solved the problem. And finally, the wireless is working from every room in the house. Voila! I'm a happy camper, and I appreciate your assistance. Sorry that I didn't think of phoning Samsung first. They have an 800 phone number and free tech support. Duh! I will remember this next time. Again, thanks everyone.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Sounds like excellent phone service.
However, you shouldn't need to encounter this situation.
If I plug in a USB printer, it just works. (Or at least, OS X downloads the latest drivers automatically.) The same should be true of the wireless option. It should be as simple as letting your iPhone join a wireless network. Maybe next year!
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Sounds like excellent phone service.
However, you shouldn't need to encounter this situation.
If I plug in a USB printer, it just works. (Or at least, OS X downloads the latest drivers automatically.) The same should be true of the wireless option. It should be as simple as letting your iPhone join a wireless network. Maybe next year!
Yup, that's how my HP works. As I said in an earlier post, the Systems Peferences lists two printers. One has the E prefix and one doesn't. If you want to use the printer wirelessly you select the E printer as your default and that's that.
---