Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Ultimate anti-vibration cushion

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Ultimate anti-vibration cushion

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I've posted in the past about how to isolate Mac accessories, especially external hard drives, so that you can minimize noise and vibration.

Of course, placing these items under a desk, instead of on a desk, helps. But anti-vibration cushions help a lot.

I first found this material at WalMart, but they don't appear to restock. Finally, I found a source in the Amazon marketplace:

http://amzn.to/ZEkWd0

This is a very soft, honeycomb, silicone hot pad. Put under anything that vibrates, it does an excellent job of decoupling the vibration from the surface the object is resting on. It's also superbly nonslip.

Note that this material, if left in a full sheet, will also provide excellent heat insulation, exactly what you don't want for a hard drive. So cut out a Z or S shape (or go wild with creativity), anything that increases the area of the drive that is not in contact with the silicone and allows air circulation. Reducing the contact area (to a certain degree) also increases the vibration isolation.

I'm also going to use some of this stuff for my iPhone pad in my car. I don't have a natural, safe place to set my iPhone, so I made a rubbery sheet that covers a little of the saddle between the front seats. I used neoprene, the kind wetsuits are made of. Set there, the phone does not go sailing off hither and thither when I screech around corners. But this stuff is even stickier.

I like basic black, but it's available in many designer colors. Walmart in PA may still have some in the worst colors.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs