iPhoto problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

iPhoto problem

Post by Jim Martin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 pm

The last photos I was able to import to my iPhoto '09 was on December 17th.
My card reader works on other computers and my camera card is fine in the camera, I connected my camera and it would not import either.
I have a 20 inch 2007 iMac with intel processors, 2 GB of Ram and a 250GB hard drive with 165.4 GB of space free.
All of my updates are current. I am using OS 10.5.8, Leopard, the latest OS this model can use.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: iPhoto problem

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm

You may have to go through Image Capture, which is in your Applications folder. In Tiger my computer recognized my card and camera immediately. I am now using Snow Leopard and I have to open Image Capture first and tell it to fetch the photos. You may have to do the same in Leopard.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Try plugging the camera and/or the card reader into a USB port on the iMac itself. Don't use one of the USB ports on the side of the keyboard if that's what you're doing.

I used to use the readily available keyboard port but when I upgraded to a newer version of either the OS or iPhoto that would no longer work. It has to do with the keyboard port not being a powered port and all the ports on the iMac itself being powered ports.

I'm not saying this will work but give it a try and let us know what happens. And risking your wrath, when you connected your camera to your iMac using the camera's data cable you did turn your camera on, didn't you?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Martin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Bob and Richard. I will try both suggestions, and no wrath, I did turn the camera on, although I have shot some photos in the past with out film in the camera.

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Martin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Bob, and Richard. I used the USB on the back of the iMac and Image Capture gave me the message, "No Image Capture device connected.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Do you have this checked in the Preferences section of iPhoto?
Attachments
open.jpg
open.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
---

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Martin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, I do Richard.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Do you have another Mac you can plug into? If so, I'd suggest downloading the images there. Then you can try transferring them to your main Mac.

Let me see if I've understood the issue right. If you plug your camera into the Mac's USB, it doesn't recognize the camera. And if you plug the camera's card into the Mac directly, it doesn't recognize it as a plugged-in device. If you just plug in the camera's card, can you see it if you look at the Mac (not the Mac's hard drive) in the Finder?

There is software especially designed to retrieve images from camera cards, so even if there's a real problem here, you may still have a chance of getting the images back.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Let's try Jerry's trick. Log on as a guest user. Then plug in your camera and see if iPhoto opens and "sees" your photos. This will give us some more information to work with.
---

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Martin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks Stephen and Richard. Richard's idea seemed quicker and it worked. I set up a Guest account and as soon as I plugged my card reader into the USB on the keyboard, it showed up on the desktop. I imported them into iPhoto and after ejecting the card reader I plugged in a flash drive and put the images on the flash drive, now I have them in iPhoto.
Will I have to do this every time? It seems like a corruption on the computer? I ran utilities and the Hard drive appears to be OK?? Thanks to all who have answered my problem, you are a great bunch of experts, nice to have here in Sequim and Port Angeles