Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Photos App

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos App

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:11 pm

BTW, I tested a file as follows:
File > Export > Export Unmodified Original
I opened it in Photoshop, dismisssed the somewhat confusing Adobe RAW editor, added a text layer and saved as psd.
I dragged that file back to Photos.
File > Export > Export Unmodified Original, opened it in Photoshop and it retains the layers.

So at least Photos can store Photoshop documents normally.
Too bad about the extra steps.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Here's another option: External Editors For Photos.app. $0.99 in the Mac App Store

This is a Photos extension and shows up in the Edit mode under the Extensions (...) button.
I think this allows roundtrip editing in Photoshop while retaining the .psd format. (I haven't tested with RW2 files though.)
It does not automatically duplicate an image, so I am adopting that as my first step.

It also allows you to choose any image editor on your Mac. It has a Favorites list, and you can set a preference to automatically open in the default editor.
Revert to Original is still available after editing.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Search Tip:
You can type multiple words separated by a space to search based on multiple criteria. For example, entering “California March” locates all photos taken in California in March.
This is direct from Apples how to find pictures page, but it's easy to miss. I did.

You can make a Smart Album to search on multiple criteria, as I mentioned above, but you can't search on a month.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm

So I took another step in the process of migrating from Aperture to Photos today.

After some weeks of using Photos, I decided I could archive my Aperture Library.migratedaplibrary*, 763.83 GB, to a hard drive, then delete it from my main hard drive and my current Time Machine backups, given that it's already duplicated in Photos Library.photoslibrary. That's a lot of gigabytes!

(I am duplicating the whole Aperture library to an archive hard drive, and it's also duplicated on an archived Time Machine hard drive.)

When I first set up to copy the library from my hard drive to an external, estimated times were in the range of 25-30 (FireWire 800 or USB3). Not minutes. Not hours, but days!
But when I left my iMac to work while I was away, the time diminished to an hour, then minutes.

So the lesson is (I think) that copying from one disk to another takes up computer cycles, and if you're using the computer, the estimated time will be longer than if you leave the computer to do its thing. And the estimated time gets revised massively as time goes by.

*It has than name because I migrated it to Photos with PowerPhotos.app. I can also use PowerPhotos to open the Aperture library if I ever need to.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am

Regarding Time Machine backups and Photos (or Aperture) libraries,
In the case of files such as Packages (including the Photos Library package), TM will identify any:
new data (e.g. new photos in the Masters folder within your Photos Library package) and back this up
modified data within your Photos Library package (e.g. edited photos) and back this up
deleted data within your Photos Library package (e.g. photos you've deleted) and keep a record of the change
Steve Jobs