Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Photos App

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Photos App

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:39 pm

I use the Noiseless CK extension all the time to eliminate "noise" from both scanned photos and from photos taken in low light. I also use the Pixelmator extension once in a while for "Photoshop" type corrections.

Below is an example of a Noiseless CK extension window, showing the original scanned image on the left and the altered one on the right. The level of noise removal is chosen in the right column, and the yellow vertical line can be dragged to compare the before and after images.

Noiseless CK can really improve any "snowy" image. And yes, that is me in the photo ... taken a few years ago.

The app is now just called Noiseless, and is sold for only $5 in the Mac App Store. (special 85% off promotion!)

;)
Attachments
Noiseless CK.jpg
Noiseless CK.jpg (289.45 KiB) Viewed 547 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm

As a previous user of Aperture I use an app “Raw Power” from Gentleman Coders (a former Aperture developer) It works as an extension to Photos, a plugin to Lightroom or as a standalone app. It is also available for IOS and all the follow thru on iCloud. I believe it is about 23 dollars and is a very extensive photo editor with a lot of features that Aperture had. This an article about the last version of Raw Power. It was upgraded in December. https://www.rangefinderonline.com/gear/ ... re-review/

https://gentlemencoders.com/raw-power-for-macos/

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 am

I've done a lot of Shadows adjustments and White Balance, but haven't really delved into the finer grained adjustments with Levels and Curves.
Photos now has a lot of adjustments that Aperture had, much more than when Photos was first introduced.
I noticed recently a healing brush in Photos that worked perfectly for fixing bits of black at the corner of a couple of panoramas. I've used the healing brush in Photoshop a lot. Sometimes it just works, other times not so well.
Of course, just because an adjustment is called, for example, "Shadows" in two apps or plugins doesn't mean it does exactly the same thing.
I still find myself doing some adjustments in Photoshop, but that may be mostly because of habit.

I also have several Save for Web presets I use in Photoshop. Some are for posting to a web site I contribute to (bugguide.net), which wants photos with a maximum size horizontally or vertically of 560 px jpeg high. For my Olympic Natural History web site, I want 800x600 jpeg high and 128x96 jpeg max. And for my Thonet Chairs in Movies web page, I want 240 wide jpeg high. By using Keyboard Maestro, I can get Photoshop's Save for Web (Legacy) feature to do those quickly.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am

Here's one issue I've found with Photos, as compared to Aperture:

In Aperture, if I opened an image in my external editor of choice, Photoshop, Aperture would create a duplicate image in .psd format, and save that. So I could edit in Photoshop, save the edits and then open the image again in Photoshop. There was no switching of file format.

In Photos, if I select an image and choose Edit With Photoshop, what opens is a .jpg image. It's the same pixel size, but with obvious color differences, and maybe other differences that aren't as obvious.

So it looks like if you have a .psd file in Photos that you want to edit in Photoshop, you need to export the original, then manually copy the edited file back to Photos (probably should change the name before adding it back).

Anyone seen a more convenient way to do this?
Steve Jobs

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

How do get it to "edit with" in the jpg, mine exports to Photoshop or Raw Power in the tiff format?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Hmm.
I'm using Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop. What I see in Photoshop is then a .jpg file

If I use File > Export > Export Unmodified Original, I have to save the file somewhere, then open that in Photoshop.

How are you exporting?
Steve Jobs

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 pm

I am using the Image>Edit with> Adobe Photoshop path too. I send a Canon Raw format file too Photos it changes to a tiff file and when it comes back to Photos it is in Raw format. It does not have the unedited version of the file like there was in Aperture.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 pm

That's weird that your workflow would change formats like that.
Steve Jobs

Norrie Johnson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Norrie Johnson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:12 am

It does the same on my MacBook

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am

I have four file formats I can test:
RW2 (Panasonic raw)
jpg (variety of cameras)
tiff (scans)
psd (edited or created in Photoshop)

Using Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop, they all open as jpg.

As a test, I edited an RW2 20 MP image, 23.6 MB. I used Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop shows it as a jpg. I made an obvious change in the image, clicked the close-window x, clicked Save and chose Low in the jpg save dialog. This would normally produce a 2.2 MB image if saved to the desktop. If I just save back to Photos, the image retains the edit, but is still listed as 23.6 MB and still has the RW2 suffix.

This is very confusing. I don't know what's going on with the image. Is it a jpg or raw? How can Photoshop save the edits, but not reduce the file size?
At least I can use Image > Revert to Original, either from the menu or in Edit mode.

If I change the name of the edited file when saving in Photoshop and leave the save to location as it was (in the Photos library) it is nowhere to be found, presumably because it's in the Photos Library, but Photos doesn't know about it.

Until I understand this better, I'm going to export any files, then open in Photoshop, then save them to Photos as a new file.
Better yet, I'll duplicate each file before editing in Photoshop.
Steve Jobs