Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Apple vs Monterey Bay Aquarium

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Apple vs Monterey Bay Aquarium

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

Scientific community up in tentacles over Apple's 'upside down' squid emoji

This seems to have arisen by using a widely copied drawing of a squid with the ventral (lower) side up (for classroom dissection).
squid_external_labeled.GIF
squid_external_labeled.GIF (19.33 KiB) Viewed 27 times
https://www.biologycorner.com/worksheet ... acher.html

However, it’s more complicated than that. Squid are mollusks, related to slugs and snails. If you orient the squid with its anatomy arranged the same way as a snail, then tentacles are actually the anatomical ventral (lower) side equivalent to a snail's "foot."
But squid swim tentacles forward, and siphon down, so the the tentacles are the behavioral anterior (forward) side.
squid.jpg
squid.jpg (155.93 KiB) Viewed 27 times
So the wags at the MBA are sort of right, that if the animal is moving toward you, the siphon would be on the "chin" side (and pointing backward).

(BTW, I've visited the MBA several times, have written about it for newspapers and other publications, and wrote captions for one of their exhibits. I have also studied marine biology at the University of Washington.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple vs Monterey Bay Aquarium

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 am

And I've read "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" so squid anatomy is something I'm quite familiar with. :D
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.