Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

New in iOS 11

(New)Discussion of issues related to iOS 11.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

New in iOS 11

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Here are two handy things new to iOS 11 (unless I missed them earlier):

1. Magnifying glass
In Control Center, a magnifying glass with a plus in it turns your iPhone into a magnifying glass. I previously used a little app called Lumin for this purpose. It's extremely handy if you find you've forgotten your reading glasses and need to read, say, a telephone book. Alternatively, you can take a photo, view it in Photos and unpinch to blow it up.

2. QR code reading built in. This doesn't replace QR code apps, I think, but it may well be handy.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Magnifier

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am

Here are some added tips for the magnifying glass.

Add the magnifying glass to your Control Center: Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls

Turn on Magnifying glass for instant access: Settings > General > Accessibility > Magnifier
Now a triple click on the side button (or Home button) brings up the Magnifier.

To my mind, it's odd that there's no Save feature in Magnifier. Not to worry, just take a screen shot: click the side button and a volume button or the home button and the lock button.

And remember that you can unpinch to use digital zoom in the Camera app. It produces remarkably good closeups.

BTW, here's an older post about this same feature, which is included in iOS 10 as well as 11.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2320&p=8299&hilit=lumin#p8299
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs