Page 1 of 1

Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:26 am
by Stephen Hart
I received a Spam invitation in Calendar, first noticed on my iPad. It came direct to Calendar, and is addressed to dozens of addresses similar to mine. "Genuine Ray Bans, direct from China."

As with Spam received as email, the right thing to do is to delete without responding in any way. Any response validated your e-mail address, leading to more Spam.

But there appears to be no way to delete an invite without responding. I found some suggestions from years past*, but they don't work in iOS 10 or in the current iCloud web interface.

Anyone have a clue what to do other than just ignore the invite?



* Create a new "junk" calendar, move the invite, delete the new calendar. But I saw no way to move an invite.
* In iCloud on a Mac, delete the invite. No can do. Either the action symbol method or the delete key only offers delete and notify the sender.
* Set all invites to email only. I see no way to do that.
* Disconnect from iCloud, delete Calendar data from the iOS device, reconnect to iCloud. I researched this procedure for another purpose recently, and the result is a cycle where as soon as you reconnect to iCloud, it repopulates all devices with the data.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 am
by rickj
I just got the same invitation. I just right-clicked on it to get a popup menu and chose DELETE from the menu. It asked me if I was sure I wanted to decline the invitation, I said yes, and it went away.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:33 am
by Richard Serkes
Yeah, it just happened to me the morning of 11/25. Not only does the spam show up in Calendar but also in BusyCal. Showing up in BusyCal makes sense since it uses all the iCloud data.

Like you, I don't want to use DECLINE because that just notifies the sender (SPAMer) that the email address is being used and invites even more spam. It's too bad the Calendar app doesn't have a spam filter like Mail does.

If you ever figure out a solution please post it.

Whoops, I meant DELETE. If you select DELETE the sender is notified. I don't know what happens if you use DECLINE in terms of notifying the sender.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:15 am
by rickj
rickj wrote:I just got the same invitation. I just right-clicked on it to get a popup menu and chose DELETE from the menu. It asked me if I was sure I wanted to decline the invitation, I said yes, and it went away.
Richard Serkes wrote:Yeah, it just happened to me the morning of 11/25. Not only does the spam show up in Calendar but also in BusyCal. Showing up in BusyCal makes sense since it uses all the iCloud data.

Like you, I don't want to use DECLINE because that just notifies the sender (SPAMer) that the email address is being used and invites even more spam. It's too bad the Calendar app doesn't have a spam filter like Mail does.

If you ever figure out a solution please post it.

Whoops, I meant DELETE. If you select DELETE the sender is notified. I don't know what happens if you use DECLINE in terms of notifying the sender.
Oops. Now I understand what you were talking about. Oh well. I'm on their list now.
Stephen Hart wrote:* Set all invites to email only. I see no way to do that.
A little late, I just discovered how to do this. In iCloud go to Calendar preferences (the little gear at the bottom) and click on the Advanced tab. It's at the bottom.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 am
by Richard Serkes
Nice. You truly are smarter than the average bear.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:26 am
by rickj
Richard Serkes wrote:Nice. You truly are smarter than the average bear.
Of course, the average bear would have probably read Stephen's post more carefully before acting.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:29 pm
by Stephen Hart
I just got home from D.C. and checked on my own iMac. The contextual menu delete option is actually decline, with an explicit notice that the sender will be notified.

If I try the method of using iCloud on my iMac, I get the second message: Delete and Notify.

Overall, this is deeply icky.
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:58 pm
by Stephen Hart
Here's an article in The New York Times on this issue. It contains some of the same solutions I saw earlier, but I did make one work, as follows.

1. On my iMac, make a new calendar. I called mine Junk.
2. Select the offensive invitation.
3. Control click and choose Get Info.
4. In the Calendar indicator at the upper right of the info window, choose the Junk calendar. This moves the entry. There really isn't a Move command, as far as I can see.

5. Switch to an iOS device. (There's no way to delete this calendar in Calendars on the Mac. Apple's Calendar Help says some calendars can't be deleted.)
6. In iOS Calendar go the Calendars view.
7. Tap the Calendars button at the bottom of the screen to enter the Calendars list. Tap the lowercase ā€œiā€ icon next to the Junk calendar, and on the next screen, scroll all the way down and tap Delete Calendar.

According to the article, you can do all of the above in iOS.

8. In Safari > iCloud on my iMac, go to Calendar web app.
9. Gear icon on the lower left > Preferences > Advanced > Invitations. Choose checkbox to have all invitations go to my Apple ID email, not directly to Calendar. This works for me because I have never gotten and invitation before, and don't need to use the feature regularly. Deleting spam email without responding or notifying is much easier.

I've notified Apple that I think this is a high-priority thing to fix.

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm
by Stephen Hart
Apple seems to be on track with this issue:

Apple activates iCloud.com Calendar spam reporting feature