Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Freeing Up Storage- Email.2

Discussion of issues related to iOS 10.
pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Freeing Up Storage- Email.2

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks for your advice Steve; however, I still seem to have a problem with Mail and what is currently on the phone. I have reduced the number of documents in Mail to about 600 (the combined total of the various mailboxes) from a couple of thousand, but 'Settings' still shows Mail as using 2.66 G; that's more than half my total storage. Does the Mail app use that much phone resource, or is there something else I need to do to get rid of old messages, or is there a glitch somewhere in the system?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Freeing Up Storage- Email.2

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:58 pm

I just did a search for "iOS Mail using gigabytes on iPhone" and got several articles on how to free up space on an iPhone. One obvious storage hog is emails with images--or even worse, video.

I think the only way to deal with that in the long run is to stop storing so much email on your iPhone or upgrade to an iPhone with much more storage.

Beware of obnoxious or even dangerous ads when doing any online search for computer help. Don't download anything from any of these sites.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Freeing Up Storage- Email.2

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks Steve,
I'll check for images or videos (don't think I have any). I cleaned out a lot of stuff, but it didn't seem to affect the storage numbers; it was as if mail is leaving it on the phone is some file I don't know about. I'll check out the articles.
Thanks again,
Paul