Double Download Problem

Discussion of issues related to iOS 9.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Double Download Problem

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:07 pm

I've seen this behavior now with more than one app and at least one iBook:

I purchase an app or an iBook on my Mac in iTunes. I sync to my iPad. I can watch the progress bar and see that the item is being synced to my iPad.

I look at my iPad and see an icon, but it's pale, the app won't open and it appears to be hung up downloading.

The solution in both the case of an iBook and one app is to switch to the appropriate store: iBooks Store (from the iBook app) or App Store app, search for the item and stop the download. There's an icon with a circle and a square inside that stops the download. In the case of the iBook, the icon changed to cloud with a downward-pointing arrow. The iBook was now available for use. In the case of the app, the icon changed to Open, and again, the app worked.

This Apple Support Communities thread gave me the initial solution.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/44 ... 5&tstart=0

But why is this happening in the first place? I didn't initiate any redownloads.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Double Download Problem

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Just after I posted that message, I experienced the same problem. That made me think it wasn't just a couple of glitches.

Here's what I think is going wrong:

I think I purchase something on my Mac. That initiates a download. But before I can complete the download and sync, the iPad detects the new purchase and initiates a download. In some circumstances, maybe this is how you'd want it to work, but for me that's doubling sometimes large downloads on slow DSL.

I had Automatic Downloads set to on in Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Automatic Downloads. Apparently, then, there's a conflict of sorts between syncing with iTunes and syncing automatically.

I'm not sure how Apple should fix this, but I've turned off Automatic Downloads for Music, Apps, Books and Updates.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs