Wireless Upgrade To iOS 9.x--DON'T DO IT!

Discussion of issues related to iOS 9.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Wireless Upgrade To iOS 9.x--DON'T DO IT!

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:33 am

When iOS 8.0 was released many people with smaller storage capacities on their iDEVICES found that they didn't have enough room on the iDevice to perform the wireless upgrade. These people tended to ignore Apple's suggested upgrade procedure and removed enough apps from their iDevices to free up the necessary space to perform the wireless upgrade. Then they had to reload the removed apps. What a mess. What a waste of time. What a formula for disaster.

Apple has now taken the wrong path and instead of reiterating the safe upgrade protocol Apple has made making a mess even easier. When you upgrade from iOS 8.x to iOS 9.0 wirelessly the upgrade will temporarily remove apps from your iDevice, install the upgrade to iOS 9.0 and then reload the removed apps. So what happens if your battery level is low and you run out of juice? What happens when your I'Net connection is disrupted even for a nanosecond? What happens when even a fragment of code is corrupted during the transmission? What happens when during the reloading of the removed apps there's any kind of techno hiccup at all? What are you going to do when your iDevice is bricked because any and all of these problems can and will occur?

OK, here's the safe way to upgrade to iOS 9.0 without any muss or fuss. And by the way this is the protocol Apple recommends:

1) Using the data cable plug your iDevice into your Mac.
2) If iTunes doesn't automatically open, open it.
3) When iTunes tells you there's an upgrade available, ignore it.
4) Do a manual backup of your iDevice.
5) Now select the upgrade option and let things happen. It'll take a while so go get a cup of coffee.
6) After your iDevice is upgraded to iOS 9.0 do a manual backup. Now you have a copy of iOS 8.x and iOS 9.0...just in case.
7) Now go play with your iDevice.

Using this upgrading protocol you won't have to worry about apps being removed and then reloaded with all the inherent problems because this subtraction/additon nonsense won't be taking place. Your Mac will act as a temporary "swap disk" providing your iDevice will all the room necessary to load the new iOS. If any part of the new code is corrupted during transmission iTunes will recognize the problem and fix it BEFORE ANY NEW CODE IS COPIED TO YOUR iDEVICE. If there's a hiccup in the power source or your I'Net connection is dropped iTunes will deal with it BEFORE ANY NEW CODE IS COPIED TO YOUR iDEVICE.

Yes, it will take a little more time and effort to find your data cable and hook things up. It will take a little more time to do not one but two manual backups but if you'll follow Apple's recommended protocol you'll remove almost all possible screw ups.

Shame on Apple for making it even easier for people to make a mess and then call AppleCare to complain.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Wireless Upgrade To iOS 9.x--DON'T DO IT!

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Note that iOS 9 has not been released yet, so if you load it now, it's a beta, with all the usual risks of beta software.

Note also that when you upgrade via iTunes and a wire, you're downloading a complete restore package. That can take a very long time. (It's many hours for me on 1.5 DSL.) You can choose Download Only, then take your iPhone away and let iTunes work away.

WiFi upgrading requires downloading a much smaller file. The reason it takes up space on your device is that the device has to download the whole update package, then go through the process of upgrading, then delete the updater and old iOS version. As Richard explained, if you have very little free space on your device, something's gotta give.

In terms of risk, I think glitches could happen no matter how you update. In either case, the download will be checked for integrity before the update. The key thing that happens when you plug in and use iTunes is the backup immediately before the update.

In the past, at least, Apple has blocked reverting to a previous version using restore. So if something does go wrong during an update, I'm not sure how you'd go about choosing to restore to the older software.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:In the past, at least, Apple has blocked reverting to a previous version using restore. So if something does go wrong during an update, I'm not sure how you'd go about choosing to restore to the older software.
In theory this is true but sites like MacNN and Cult of Mac seem to have cookbook instructions on how to do it. I see these articles just after a new iOS upgrade is released.
---

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Richard,
Will the procedure, that you describe, work on my computer/iTunes since it is running 10.6.8., Snow Leopard ? I can't go any higher; it is an old (reliable) laptop that just keeps chugging along. I know I can't synch with my phone or go to the cloud so I am wondering if I can really download iOS updates using the laptop.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Richard,
Will the procedure, that you describe, work on my computer/iTunes since it is running 10.6.8., Snow Leopard ? I can't go any higher; it is an old (reliable) laptop that just keeps chugging along. I know I can't synch with my phone or go to the cloud so I am wondering if I can really download iOS updates using the laptop.
Excellent question but I don't know the answer. I'll bet you that within the next 24 hours there'll be an answer posted here.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 am

I mentioned above the time difference for the downloads direct to iPhone or to iTunes.

For iOS 8.4, here's the actual difference with my nominal 1.5 Mbps DSL:

Direct to iPhone via WiFi: 30 minutes
Download to iTunes: 6 hours
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs