iMovie

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

iMovie

Post by LGmus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 am

Am having trouble importing file from Panasonic VDR-D220. This uses a 3" mini dvd. iMovie recognizes the camcorder, but says the files are not compatible.

Am reading that the disc may need to be finalized; however, if i can't edit in iMovie, i can edit in camera. Not sure what finalizing will do to that option. In any case, I still need to get the file, edited or not, onto my computer.
(camcorder is 2007--i use it mostly for direct feedback in my music studio, playback from camera thru TV. This is my first attempt to make a presentation from it.)

Any help appreciated
Lili Green

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iMovie

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Here's one answer:
I believe that camera records to Mini DVD discs, which is a final delivery format not intended for editing. If so, you won't be able to capture from the camera but you can convert the DVD's VOB files into an editable format.

Place the finalized DVD disc into a tray loading DVD drive. Use MPEG Streamclip to handle the conversion. You'll also need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component if you don't already have it installed on your system.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1805099?tstart=0

And another one:
Just make sure the disc is finalized, then connect it to your mac via the USB cable and select the CONNECT DISC option on the camera. OS X will ask you which program to open it with; choose iMovie. It will open a video capture screen which will allow you to choose which scenes you want to load from the camera. It will take a few minutes to capture the files and save them to a project folder in iMovie; they'll be visible to work with in iMovie from there.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1890955-n ... c_vdr_d220

Many video cameras and still+video cameras these days have the electronics to do excellent-quality audio recording. But of course, everything depends on the mic, so you'd really want to find a camera that has an external mic jack. Not all do. The on-camera mics will capture extrinsic noise and sound echoey. And really good mics appropriate for strings are expensive.
An alternative is to record the audio with an iPhone and, for example, a Rode iXY Lightning plug-in stereo mic, which can record better-than-CD quality. Then you could sync the audio to the video in iMovie.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: iMovie

Post by LGmus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. My cd drive is without a tray, only a slot and not sure it will take the disk.
Found, thanks to Jim of Quality Computers, that Hand Brake translated the file that I had copied from the camera to hard drive (via usb cable) just fine.