Safari STILL not remembering passwords!

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Safari STILL not remembering passwords!

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 pm

I was able to look over the two links you sent (prior to your most recent)... and see that Apple's advice is to "Reset the Keychain," whereas the other website suggests simply deleting the Library/Keychain item with the 26 character alphanumeric name (which apparently stores the Keychain database). I'm curious whether these two "solutions" are actually doing the same thing?

I WILL look at the Folder Comparison software as well. These hints have been very helpful indeed. Thanks, Stephen.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:32 pm

This problem is now, officially, driving me CRAZY. I've now run Keychain Repair numerous times. Have deleted all the Safari prefs that I could find in my Library. Created a new Login Keychain. Etc. etc. etc. As noted earlier, another login on my computer saves passwords in Safari and works JUST FINE. So what's going on here?

One thing I note is that in the functioning login, my Login Keychain contains an item called "Safari Forms AutoFill" which does NOT appear in my regular login. Who in the world can figure this stuff out? The "Forms AutoFill" pref file says (when you click on it), "Used to decode the encrypted file that contains non-password data previously entered in web page forms." So maybe that's not the cause of the problem. But I'm just about stumped here.

I am still convinced that the issue has something to do with Keychain's interaction with Safari. After all, the Safari app works perfectly in the "dummy" login. And moreover, when I go to a website (like the SMUG Forum), the pop-down windoid that appears has the little "Keychain" logo and it seems as if the stored password is present in the Keychain. So why doesn't Safari fill it in automatically?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.32.29 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.32.29 PM.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 3794 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:21 pm

Maybe the easiest way out of this is to move to a new user account. Unfortunately, that's not all that easy.
Given the obvious ominous presence of Murphey's Law in this case, I guess merely using Migration Assistant from a backup may well recreate the problem, but it might be worth a try. One way you could do this without wasting your own time is to set up an external hard drive with a new install of El Capitan, then use Migration Assistant to move your data and settings to that drive. You can to this in two steps without watching the pot.
Then comes the tricky part. If the external drive works, you need to use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! to copy it back to your internal drive before you change any files on your internal drive.
Migration Assistant is pretty coarse grained on what you can exclude.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21974?locale=en_US

A more hands-on approach might be better. Here are a couple of examples. I take no responsibility for their advice, as it's been years and years since I did anything like this.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-migrati ... t-in-os-x/

http://danfrakes.com/2015/01/04/how-to- ... r-account/

http://pondini.org/OSX/Transfer.html

Oh, Wait! Don't do anything today!!
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Here's that puzzling Keychain item which IS in my correctly-working dummy login but NOT in my normal login.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 5.06.42 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 5.06.42 PM.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:04 am

Maybe you could copy that item from the working keychain to the nonworking one:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 5081151172

Another thought: Is it possible you have cookies blocked in Safari prefs or using some third-party plugin? My vague understanding is that a site knows to log you in automatically only if it can place a cookie.
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

ChrisO
Club Officer

Post by ChrisO » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:13 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:BUT!!! BUT!!! No, of course I don't have any kind of backup for my computer. I've always thought it a sort of meaningless frivolous expense.

DO YOU REALLY THINK I should back up my computer?? :shock:
Zing... Jerry casts his fly out and it lands... But, will any fish bite...? :)

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:16 am

I hope not.... Everyone should know by now....