Safari STILL not remembering passwords!

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Safari STILL not remembering passwords!

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Almost exactly a year ago, I began this thread (http://www.straitmac.org/phpBB3/viewtop ... =29&t=1717) raising certain issues with then-new Yosemite. Here we are almost exactly a year later with El Capitan and one of those problems is still with me. The problem is that Safari WILL NOT remember me and log me in automatically at commonly used websites.

I just got a brand new MacBook Pro. It in turn is using freshly down-loaded El Capitan. And this problem has been TENACIOUS!! When I go to websites I visit frequently (like the SMUG site and NY Times.com), I am NEVER remembered. When I click in the box to enter a username, a little drop-down windoid appears offering to fill in my username and password. But I MUST do that action of going through that little pop-down box every time I log into a site. See attached photo.... So question for you: When you folks log in to the Forum do you see a little pop-down windoid like in the picture? Or do you find the boxes already filled in... so that all you have to do is click "Log in?"

In trying to figure this out, it has occurred to me that the problem could be somewhere between Safari and the Keychain. Keychain is another program I don't understand and with which I've never been comfortable. Most recently, I once-again deleted all my passwords and added several back in. Going to Keychain Utility, I note that each of these Safari passwords is listed as being in the iCloud Keychain. This raises yet another complication that I don't understand and don't like. Any and all help on this puzzle would be appreciated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 6.50.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 6.50.55 PM.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 2811 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Safari STILL not remembering passwords!

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 pm

FWIW:
I have Keychain sync on. I am automatically logged in to SMUG Forum, for example, on the devices where I've logged in, but not on the devices where I haven't logged in. So I'm always recognized on my iMac, but not on my iPad, where I guess I haven't logged in.

I use 1Password, and there's always an issue where Safari/Keychain wants to add a password for a new site and I have to reject that option because I want it to remain in 1Password.

If you've already checked in Keychain, have you also checked in Safari> Preferences > Passwords?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 am

What do you mean "Checked?" Do you mean, have I turned on and off the "AutoFill User Names and Passwords" checkbox 100,000 times? Yes, I have done that. No, it's probably 1,000,000 times.

What I'm looking for here is some sort of control that operates in the background quietly and unobtrusively that is INTERFERING with the normal function of the Keychain, the iCloud Keychain AND the Safari AutoFill function. Something that I might have done or configured a year or more ago. And something that is not obvious.

Recollecting back a few months, I seem to recall that Firefox and Chrome DID remember and autofill my names and passwords correctly. So, you ask, why not just stick with one of those? Well, I could. But as a Mac fanatic I really need to be able to solve these mysteyries.

I'm also trying to remember whether Safari works correctly in other log ins. Let me try that and get back to here.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.29.00 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.29.00 AM.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 2805 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 am

I meant to look at the list in Safari > Preferences > Passwords, the one underneath the checkbox. Maybe there's something there that would offer a clue. For example, I appear to have two logins for the SMUG forum, and two listings for one of the logins, with two different URLs.

In Keychain, I have one more login for SMUG.

So I'm wondering if maybe you have two conflicting logins.
Attachments
passwords.jpg
passwords.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
keychain.jpg
keychain.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:59 am

Good idea to check the passwords for conflicts. But in this case I've DELETED all of them, multiple times, and then re-added them.

I did try my dummy login and surprise surprise, Safari seems to work correctly in there. So what to do?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am

I did try my dummy login and surprise surprise, Safari seems to work correctly in there. So what to do?
You mean in another user account? In that case, you definitely have a problem somewhere in Safari's prefs or in Keychain.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Yes, the dummy login is a fresh, never-used, user account. Everyone should have one.

So what is the most aggressive way I can trim Safari's prefs and settings? (including deleting Library items).

And what is the most aggressive way to destroy and totally recreate my Keychain? (including iCloud keychain).

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Have you tried Keychain First Aid? Keychain Access > Keychain First Aid. Who knows, that might actually work!

Or you could use one of these to just trash your whole Keychain and start from scratch:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=801 [I preappologize for the hideous add-infected site], but it may have some useful information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203192

Assuming you have a good Time Machine backup, and you know--or find out ahead of time and write down the steps--how to replace the prefs you had in the past, you should be OK with trying this out.

And, seriously, I'm not in any way making fun of this situation. It's a terrible mess when some preference cause problems but you can't see exactly which one.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 am

Stephen, I'll have a look at your web links and would like to seriously trash as many of those things and as many Safari Prefs as I can. And no, I understand you're being sympathetic about helping out. BUT!!! BUT!!! No, of course I don't have any kind of backup for my computer. I've always thought it a sort of meaningless frivolous expense.

DO YOU REALLY THINK I should back up my computer?? :shock:

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 am

I just noticed this on Macintouch. SyncChecker is for comparing two folders very precisely.
I wonder if it might be helpful in finding out which prefs file is different between two logins when one works and the other doesn't.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/SyncChecker.html
Steve Jobs