Photos and Aperture in El Capitan

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Photos and Aperture in El Capitan

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:07 pm

El Capitan's version of Photos includes the ability to add third-party plugins. Some are available in the App Store (see screenshot).

What I'd like to see is a sensible, feature-by-feature comparison of Photos and Aperture* with specific things users or reviewers think are missing from Photos. This might spur some developers to produce more plugins.

Fortunately, Aperture 3.6 works fine in El Cap, so I have another year to think about transitions for my 60,000 photos.
Attachments
plugins.jpg
plugins.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos and Aperture in El Capitan

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:44 am

I read on Macintouch today that two full-fledged photo editing apps now have plugins for Photos. This is so you can use them as external editors like you can in Aperture (and iPhoto, I think).

Affinity looks pretty slick, but I haven't tested it.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

macphun has FX Photo Studio in addition to the filtering and touchup apps mentioned above:

http://macphun.com/fxphotostudio?adw_ca
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Here's a puzzle I solved today:

Since I installed El Capitan, I haven't had any problem importing images into Aperture, but Aperture didn't open automatically. That meant an extra couple of steps each time I plugged in a camera.

Searching around the web, I found the usual advice to set the preference in Image Capture. Aperture has its own preference, but apparently Image Capture's now overrides Aperture's.

But there's a trick. Image Capture has two preference settings, and one's hidden. And I was confusing one with the other.
You can set a preference for where to import images, in the lower middle of the Image Capture window. There's a different setting, hidden by default, for setting which app opens when you plug in a specific camera. This setting has to be chosen for each camera.* That's not all; there's another trick. Even the tiny reveal triangle that you have to click to see this preference is itself hidden until you choose a camera in the list above.

* Presumably this is also true of separate cards, if you remove the cards from the camera before importing. I rarely do that.
Attachments
revealtriangle.jpg
Here's the tiny reveal triangle you have to click to show the open-with preference setting. You won't see this if you don't have a camera selected.
revealtriangle.jpg (8.97 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
choices.jpg
Two separate settings.
choices.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Google's Nik collection is free:

https://plus.google.com/+NikCollection/ ... FGsG2Di7EK

At the moment, downloading these plugins will only help you in Photoshop and/or Aperture. Photos only accepts plugins from the App Store. Maybe Apple and Google can come to some agreement to make this freebie useful to Photos users.
Steve Jobs