using iPhoto in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

using iPhoto in Yosemite

Post by anne murray » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:20 pm

I have recently installed Yosemite and wish to continue using iPhoto. My iPhoto app is 9.6.1. When I attempt to open the program I get this message.

"To open, iPhoto needs a photo library....Select a library from the list. The same library will be used the next time you open iPhoto." Two identical libraries appear labeled

iPhoto library. migratedphotolibrary.

I don't trust this situation. Will this leave my photos in iPhoto and not transfer them to Photos?

Many thanks,
Anne Murray

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: using iPhoto in Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Even if your library opens in Photos, nothing is lost. The only problem is that you can't switch back and forth between iPhoto and Photos because adding images to one library doesn't automatically update the other one. If you decide later to migrate to Photos, just import the library again so that it's up to date.

If you have two libraries with the same name, are you sure they're in the same place? Maybe you're seeing a backup.
The library you're looking for is in yourhome > Pictures. See the screenshot where you can see that I have two Aperture libraries (equivalent to iPhoto) and two Photos libraries. I don't know why two of each got created, but only one of each pair has all my photos.

Of course, you should make sure you have a good backup on Time Machine or another method just in case.
Attachments
libraries.jpg
libraries.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs