iPhoto app not available in U.S. store?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iPhoto app not available in U.S. store?

Post by jest2dogs » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 pm

What's up with that? I don't get to spend much time on the laptop anymore. It's my iPhone during the day and the iPad when I finally get home. So, last weekend I downloaded Yosemite and today I got to use it some. Can't say I'm knocked over by it yet. I find some of its features initially confusing, like where's the Dock gone?

But tonight I took some cool pics of the harbor and I came home and plugged in my work phone to the MBP to download pics to iPhoto, only to find my old app is incompatible with Yosemite. So, I open the App store and find that what I need is not available in the U.S. store. Excuse me? WT_? how long has Yosemite been out? and there's no iPhoto app?

Did they run out? :roll:

Color me confused. And I'm sure I am barking at the moon, because one of you savvy folks are going to point out something really obvious to me soon, and I'll feel really stupid.

-Jesse

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: iPhoto app not available in U.S. store?

Post by jest2dogs » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Okay, I just read Jerry's post regarding the new app "Photos". Now I see whats going on. I can't complain about whether I will like one app over the other. I just need a cataloging tool and some minor editing features. I am so thinned out by working almost 60 hours a week plus 12 hours of commuting and I have so many other pursuits besides clicking a shutter that the finesse of fine photo editing is just too much for me. For the last year my Canon G12 has sat in the desk drawer and my two iPhones have gotten pressed into service. They are always with me, and that said, the camera in your pocket is better than the one in the drawer at home. Beautiful sunsets, funny animals, a crowd gathering or an amazing smile, I have it, now.

Now to figure out "Photos". Jerry said it was dumbed down, so it should be right up my alley :-) Glad now that I didn't buy Aperture...

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:29 am

If you're used to iPhoto you can keep using it. I guess you updated to Yosemite after Photos was included, so you may need to find a copy of iPhoto 9.6.1.
Here's another discussion of how to get iPhoto to update.

It should be pretty easy to transition from iPhoto to Photos. All the image adjustment tools are there (though not necessarily showing when you first start up the app), and most of the organization tools are also available. (If you used stars, you'll need to get used to putting them in comments, for example.)

No word yet on whether iPhoto or Aperture will work in El Capitan, though some issues in Aperture are listed in the developer preview 1 notes, a hopeful sign, I think.

(For questions about Yosemite, post separately in the Yosemite section. The Dock is just the same as always.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:12 am

A Macintouch reader ran into this issue and found an easy fix. Might be worth a try.
I recently upgraded a Mac directly from Mac OS X 10.9.5 to 10.10.4. Just about everything upgraded without a hitch, except for iPhoto.
After the upgrade, iPhoto would not launch. It would present a dialog saying that it must be upgraded via the App Store, but clicking on the embedded link launches the App Store and proceeds to produce a "not found" error. Although iPhoto is on the list of purchased apps, it has an "Open" button (which repeats the error) and not an "Update" button.
After some Googling, however, I was able to find a fix. Drag the iPhoto app to the trash (no need to empty it), then go back to the App Store. iPhoto (on the "Purchased" page) now has an "Install" button. Click it (wait for 1.2GB to download and install) and the result (version 9.6.1) works as expected.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Carla
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carla » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:10 am

I was able to easily switch from Photo to using iphoto again once I found out it was possible thanks to SMUG meeting in PA.