Photos

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 am

Some other thoughts.
One somewhat odd thing about Photos is the information panel. There's no menu entry to show the panel. And you only have a toolbar button for it when you've double clicked an individual photo. Once you show the information panel, it stays there.
I haven't compared side by side, but it shows some of what Aperture shows, including maps. And it's clearly using Apple Maps, not Google Maps.
Oddly, though, I don't see a way to change a location in Photos.

You don't have the fine-grained search Heads Up Display that Aperture has. But search works. I just typed part of a location name and got exactly the results I wanted. And to be fair, Aperture's search HUD is a bit iffy. You can't create a universal set of search functions (text, text, location, etc.) Searching on location doesn't always work as expected, and searching by date is also sketchy.

So if Photos just gives you what you want without the clutter, that's OK with me.

Photos does have extensive Keyword control in a Keyword manager. Stars are Keywords now. You could also add color keywords. We've used color labelling (for flower colors), but don't otherwise use keywords or stars.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:One somewhat odd thing about Photos is the information panel. There's no menu entry to show the panel.
Is this the menu entry in question? (see screenshot) Control-clicking (right-clicking) also brings up a contextual menu to Get Info.

By the way, Photos works just fine for me and I prefer it to using iPhoto for my photo collection. For casual photographers, like myself, I think the editing and organizing tools in Photos are sufficient. And the use of iCloud Photo Library keeps my photo collection in sync with both my iPhone and iPad. I only use about 1GB of iCloud storage for my 575 photos.

:)
Attachments
Photos Info.png
Photos Info.png (76.92 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Right you are, Ray. I don't know how I missed that.
The info panel even appears if you don't have an individual image selected.

Here's a comparison of the info panel from Aperture and from Photos side by side for the same image:
Attachments
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:10 am

I'm going back to Aperture. I'm sure I could get used to Photos but it seems awkward compared to Aperture and even iPhoto. There's only one option in Photos that I wish were in Aperture and that's the ability to create albums and send them to my iCloud to be viewed by others like I can do with Flickr. Aperture doesn't have that iCloud albums feature and never will now that Apple has walked away from it. I just have to be careful to import new photos to Photos so they'll be in the shared library. Then I can deal with them in Aperture.

This is the first generation for Photos so I'm hoping that Apple will improve it as time goes by. I wasn't that impressed with early versions of iPhoto but by the time it was sent to the garbage heap it turned out to be a full featured and user friendly application. Here's hoping that Photos will go through the same metamorphosis.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm

I've never fully understood the iCloud sharing options, and I don't know how Photos improves on that.

But doesn't the photostream photo sharing do what you want? It's not automatic.

You've probably already checked out other options, like Dropbox or hosting your own site.

As to working in both, I'm staying with Aperture for everything, including import. If I need to do anything with new images in Photos, I can import later. And if I want to switch completely in the future, I'll reimport the library.

Would this work?
Make an album in Aperture, import that to Photos, then use the better iCloud sharing in Photos.

I did some research and it is the case, widely reported, that Apple announced that Photos is plugin-ready. And, as with the recent iWork apps, I'm sure the first release version of Photos is not all Apple has up its sleeve. Also, as we've seen even in our discussion here, some stuff that seems missing is in Photos, given the right approach.
Attachments
photostream.jpg
photostream.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Think of Flickr. Within iPhoto and Aperture you can create an album and easily upload it to your Flickr account. With the URL you can let people know there's a new album to view. They can't add or delete the photos although they can make comments (at least in Flickr they can). I'm trying to get away from Flickr's ads. The iOS version of Photos and the Mac OS version of Photos let's you store your albums in your iCloud account. If you want people to be able to add to or delete from your albums you can allow for that or you can handle things the old way (my preferred way) and visitors can only view the photos.

Flickr has ads. My iCloud doesn't. Aperture and iPhoto didn't let you store albums in your iCloud. Photos does.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
As to working in both, I'm staying with Aperture for everything, including import. If I need to do anything with new images in Photos, I can import later. And if I want to switch completely in the future, I'll reimport the library.
Be careful. I might be misinterpreting what Aperture says about shared libraries with Photos but I received a warning message saying photos imported directly into Aperture would not be available in Photos. Whereas photos imported into Photos will be available to both Photos and Aperture. This may only apply to using a shared library rather than separate libraries for Photos and Aperture.

What I'm wondering is... If you import new photos into Aperture and then later decide you want them in Photos will you be able to open them in Photos if you have a shared library.

I think there's a lot of dust that needs to settle. We just don't know enough about Photos for Mac yet. I just wish Apple hadn't walked away from Aperture. Why not make Photos part of the OS and free like it is now and make Aperture a stand alone paid for program for those of us who like Aperture's features.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:40 am

What I'm wondering is... If you import new photos into Aperture and then later decide you want them in Photos will you be able to open them in Photos if you have a shared library.
My plan is to just reimport the library. But I could, conceivably, switch to Lightroom or one of the other more obscure options.
In any case, I'm not going to worry much about it until I read a clear indication that Aperture won't work in the next OS X version.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
I'm not going to worry much about it until I read a clear indication that Aperture won't work in the next OS X version.
That sounds like a plan. My plan is to do the initial import into Photos then do the editing in Aperture. With the shared library this is a piece of cake. For those photos I want to put in albums and share from my iCloud I can open Photos and do it there. It's a little back-and-forth but it will give me the iCloud sharing feature I want and the editing features and familiarity of Aperture. Having just said that I wonder if my mild aversion to Photos is based on my reluctance to take on a new learning curve. I'm so familiar with Aperture and iPhoto that I just don't want to take the time to learn Photos.

What's new in Photos might make an interesting SMUG demo. It's just a thought.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Richard,
No to burden you, but can you give a point-by-point comparison between Photos Sharing in Aperture and Photos? The language looks more or less the same:
With iCloud Photo Sharing, you can share photos and videos with just the people you choose, and you can let them add their own photos, videos, and comments. Friends and family can subscribe to your shared albums to view them on all of their devices, leave comments, and get notified automatically when you add new photos and videos.
Steve Jobs