Yosemite-Wifi & internet issues

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Yosemite-Wifi & internet issues

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Maybe the new net neutrality passed by the FCC will help in this issue of slowdown.
That's really a different issue.
CenturyLink throttles lines that have too many errors. Sometimes, internet service improves because the modem doesn't have to request resends all the time. They do that by reducing speed. That would be evident in the DSL modem's connection status page.

The reason for this is to reduce user complaints without the real work of fixing the line, which can take a long time. If you keep complaining, they will fix the line (if possible).
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jim Arnold
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jim Arnold » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:27 am

Sorry again, I should have given more detail. Yes, I did try to use a direct ethernet cable connection using Migration Assistant. I'm trying that again now but having wifi connection issues — "Looking for network..." forever after selecting network and typing in password. Get back to you later.

8string
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by 8string » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:16 am

It's been my experience that WI-fi related problems where the computer is new and the wi-fi device is old, is usually caused by the new OS not properly supporting the older configuration of the Wi-Fi server. The same kind of problem happened with a Mac OS update about two years ago. It was very frustrating. You don't mention the protocol you are using on your Wi-Fi device. Some of the older, less secure protocols are no longer supported. You can always turn off security on your router for a short time, and see if the Mac connects properly. That would isolate the problem for you.

I had one of those routers and it needed to be upgraded. (see the Actiontec site for updates). I just ended up going out and buying a new router, and it worked fine.