Upgrading from NeoOffice and iPhoto

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Upgrading from NeoOffice and iPhoto

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Upgrading NeoOffice:

I have recently upgraded to Yosemite from Snow Leopard, and of course now need to upgrade a number of applications. One of these is my word processor/ spreadsheet; I want to go from NeoOffice to MS Office Home (after using NO for a couple of years, I want to go back to MS). I have a number of questions regarding this change:

1. Is there a MS package that consists only of Word and Excel? (that’s all I use)

2. I understand that MS no longer ‘supports’ Office 2008. Is that likely to be a problem? I never needed to get ‘support’ with Office 98.

3. If support is not a problem, are there any advantages of getting the newer version, Office 2011? (I understand they are both compatable w/ Yosemite). I don’t use many of the ‘bells and whistles.

4 What is the difference between the ‘old’ and newer version of 2008?

Upgrading iPhoto:

I have read some horror stories in the ‘review’ posting re: the upgrade. Is there any advice re. upgrading from SnowLeopard?

Thank you for your advice,

Paul V Hansen

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Upgrading from NeoOffice and iPhoto

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Office 2011 is working fine for us in Yosemite, and is updated frequently. It might even be a bit faster in Yosemite.

There shouldn't be any problems with iPhoto, though be especially sure to have a backup of your iPhoto library, and you might need to rebuild the library after updating.

In any OS jump of this distance, you want to make sure you have good backups. You'll probably find a lot of settings that need attending to after you upgrade. And you'll lose the ability to run some old applications. You might want to keep the older Mac around just for that.

Here are the Yosemite system requirements: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6412
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Thank you, Steve for your advice;

I did check system requirements before I installed Yosemite, and my system is ok. However, I did not back up photos. The resident iPhoto is inoperative, so I need to upgrade to the new version for Yosemite to get at the photos. Should I (can I)reinstall SnowLeopard, backup photos, then reinstall Yosemite?

Thanks again,

Paul

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Assuming you've backed up, you can just update iPhoto.
You may need to tell the new version which iPhoto library to use.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs