Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Post Reply
User avatar
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Sequim-Port Angeles
Contact:

Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Post by bluesky » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:43 am

Just my 2 cents. I'd like to give a word of caution.

Apple is blasting out emails to every Mac user urging them to upgrade, whether their Macs are capable or not. In many instances the Users are not capable of doing this due to slow Internet connections or lack of knowledge.

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard is still a viable OS, and is still supported by Apple and third party apps and plug ins. There is no urgent need to upgrade right now, unless you want to or are forced to because you want to run a new application that requires it.

Personally, I am advising HOLD OFF on upgrading to Yosemite on your own for just a little while, maybe until 10.10.1.

I have seen, and had to figure out how to correct, several issues now with clients upgrading from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard directly to OS X 10.10. Yosemite. The issues have been a failure for Mail to upgrade and repopulate, or a failure of the Contacts to upgrade and repopulate, or graphics display issues with bouncing pixelation all over the screen. Also wi-fi connectivity issues with laptops. Having to wait for up to a minute after waking or opening the screen to reconnect to the wi-fi network. Was not able to correct this issue, and I hope the 10.10.1 update comes out soon.

I also recommend you have at least 4 GB or more of RAM installed for best performance if you choose to upgrade to this very powerful operating system.
Although the Apple System Requirements state it will run with only 2 GB RAM, it may run like molasses in January.

Upgrading form 10.7.x or newer OS X does not seem to present the same level of problems.

This info is my personal observations based on client phone calls I have received since Yosemite launched. Your experience may be quite different.
"All computers wait at the same speed."

User avatar
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Sequim-Port Angeles
Contact:

Re: Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Post by bluesky » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 pm

This week I have been receiving phone calls and emails from clients about the issues downloading and installing Yosemite has caused.

I will have to wipe out and downgrade at least one computer, then restore back to 10.9.5. Possibly two of them.

I am so disappointed that Apple has blasted emails out urging everyone to upgrade, whether they should or not. It is becoming a nightmare. It’s just a numbers game for them so they can boast about how many people have downloaded Yosemite.

It is not just upgrading from 10.6.8 that is causing problems. 27 inch iMacs that are 2010 and 2011 seem to have graphics problems after upgrading to Yosemite. Bars of flashing pixels and other anomalies. I have not found a fix for this, except to wipe out the hard drive, re-download and re-install Mavericks, and then restore personal accounts from a TimeMachine backup.
"All computers wait at the same speed."

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:51 pm

It is not just upgrading from 10.6.8 that is causing problems. 27 inch iMacs that are 2010 and 2011 seem to have graphics problems after upgrading to Yosemite.
FWIW, I've been running Yosemite since late July on a 2010 27" iMac with no problems.
I've just transferred that iMac to another user by cloning a new install of Yosemite onto it, and there are still no problems such as you describe.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Sequim-Port Angeles
Contact:

Re: Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Post by bluesky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:48 pm

And on my 2010 27" iMac I have not had problems either. But on my late 2013 MacBook Pro, after upgrading to Yosemite I cannot connect to a wi-fi network when it starts up for about one minute, and I have seen this on other laptops that had very strong and qucik wi-fi connections running Mavericks.

And then there are the phone calls from many people in my area who are having major problems as I described. The graphics driver issue on 2010 and 2011 27" iMacs is well documented. but no acknowledgement or patch from Apple yet. Attached is a screen shot from an Apple Discussion. I have a couple of clients where this graphics pixilation is so bad, they are unable to use their iMacs. It starts as soon as the iMac reboots from installing Yosemite, and did not happen at all under Mavericks or previous operating systems.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 12.44.16 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 12.44.16 PM.jpg (120.25 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
"All computers wait at the same speed."

User avatar
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Sequim-Port Angeles
Contact:

Re: Should you hold off on upgrading from 10.6.8?

Post by bluesky » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 am

The dialog continues on the Apple Discussion Forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/66 ... 0&tstart=0
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest