Time Machine vs Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Time Machine vs Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this comment, but, what ever!

I received my new iMac yesterday afternoon. After a while, I was ready to set it up by using Migration assistant to copy all my user files from the old, dowdy iMac to the new slim one.

But that failed. Migration assistant hung after several hours at "About a minute to go."
I started it over, and left it overnight. The same thing greeted me in the morning.

Now I was a tad worried, so I ran Disk Utility on my old iMac. No problems. Then I made an up-to-the-minute Carbon Copy Cloner copy of the hard drive on my old Mac, just to be safe.

A tip I saw on the web said to use Restore from the recovery volume. Didn't work.

Cutting a long story short, I'm ending up using Finder copy to copy my files from my Time Machine drive. This will, of course, cost a lot of time finding what didn't copy, etc.

That's far different from my other experiences with Time Machine restoring to a new Mac, which just worked.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Time Machine vs Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:41 am

Followup:

Finder copying was much easier and faster than I expected. So far, I haven't seen anything wrong.

However, if I look in Disk Utility, I see two partitions on my new hard drive named Macintosh HD. Presumably, those are from the failed migrations. I'd like to delete them, but the tips I've seen on the web for deleting a partition don't work. Anyone have suggestions?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs