Preview's Print Options Have Changed

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Preview's Print Options Have Changed

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Since upgrading to Yosemite I've discovered a change in the print options within Preview. I always have the sidebar showing and that lets me go to a specific page without having to scroll through all the pages. The sidebar displays a series of thumbnails.

OK, in the past I could select a page from the sidebar, click print and one of the options was to print the page that had been selected in the sidebar. That options isn't there anymore or it's been moved and I just can't find it. Now I have to select Print/Pages change from ALL to SINGLE and then click up or down to get to the page I want. Default is Page 1 so if I want to print Page 47 that's a lot of clicking.

I really liked the option of selecting print the page that's already been selected in the sidebar.

Has anybody found where that old print option is or did Apple take it away from me?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Preview's Print Options Have Changed

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I've printed from Preview so rarely that I never noticed. It's print dialog (now, at least) is different from the more normal looking one in Pages.

[Cue ticking clock sound effect...]

Aha. You may kick yourself when I reveal this trick:

There's a button in the Print dialog (in both Preview and Pages, so I suspect in Yosemite in general) that says Show Details/Hide Details. Details in this case means the old familiar print dialog box. It's not set to show the page you're viewing, but five tabs gets you to the first page in the range. If you do this a lot, you could make an Fkey to do the five tabs for you. You could even hijack the print dialog entirely and make ⌘P do ⌘P and then your macro, so one keystroke would put you in the field you want. Or you could be a little safer and make it option P or whatever. It's possible that AppleScript can extract the number of the page you've selected in Preview, then you could pass that to a macro. Maybe Automator could do this. I highly recommend Keyboard Maestro for such tasks.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 pm

It's in Show Details. When Yosemite was loaded it must have gone back to the default which doesn't show the details. Once you click that (Show Details) the print option I want is there. It's been so long since I did that in Mavericks I just forgot how to set it up.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:It's in Show Details. When Yosemite was loaded it must have gone back to the default which doesn't show the details. Once you click that (Show Options) the print option I want is there. It's been so long since I did that in Mavericks I just forgot how to set it up.
Has Show/Hide details been around that long? Where was I? I never noticed it before.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:It's in Show Details. When Yosemite was loaded it must have gone back to the default which doesn't show the details. Once you click that (Show Options) the print option I want is there. It's been so long since I did that in Mavericks I just forgot how to set it up.
Has Show/Hide details been around that long? Where was I? I never noticed it before.
I don't remember when it was first introduced but i've used it for a long time.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:I don't remember when it was first introduced but i've used it for a long time.
So clearly, you should be doing the Yosemite demo next month, as I appear to be clueless. ;)
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:I don't remember when it was first introduced but i've used it for a long time.
So clearly, you should be doing the Yosemite demo next month, as I appear to be clueless. ;)
"The best way to learn is to teach." So here's your opportunity to learn something.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:36 pm

"The best way to learn is to teach."
Been there done that, middle school through university level. But that's another topic. :D

I think the Show Details/Hide Details button has replaced the "reveal" triangle. Makes sense, no?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Someone on Macintouch asked the same question today and I learned something new. You can print the page or pages selected in the thumbnail sidebar:
Attachments
selected-pages.jpg
selected-pages.jpg (5.68 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Steve Jobs