Public beta of OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Public beta of OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:07 pm

From TidBits
Apple today released the public beta of OS X 10.10 Yosemite!

Simultaneously, we’ve published Joe Kissell’s “Take Control of Beta Testing Yosemite.” You can buy it now for a suggested price of $5 from Leanpub. Read on for all the details, or just click the link to get your ebook:

http://tid.bl.it/tco-yosemite-beta-leanpub
I haven't gotten any notice from Apple, though I did get a beta of Safari a while back.

[Time passes]
OK. Apparently even though Apple's last e-mail on this said they'd e-mail me, here's the procedure. This web page includes instructions in case your redemption code doesn't work. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07/24 ... -beta-fix/

Note, especially this caveat from Apple:
Enabling iCloud Drive
After you install the OS X Yosemite Beta, you will be asked whether you wish to upgrade your account to iCloud Drive. If you choose to upgrade your account, iCloud Documents and Data will be disabled on devices that are not running OS X Yosemite or iOS 8. iCloud Drive will be available only on other Macs using the OS X Yosemite Beta and iOS devices running iOS 8. If you want to continue using iCloud Documents and Data on devices with earlier versions of OS X and iOS, you should not upgrade your account to iCloud Drive.
iOS8 does not have a public beta, so unless you're a registered developer, you'd better not enable iCloud Drive during setup.

So I have Yosemite downloading. But I may have to pause it later to let Netflix do its thing.

[Time Passes]
So while I was blathering on here, I got the e-mail from Apple.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Public beta of OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 pm

A few tidbits:
The Yosemite beta download is 5.08 GB. I successfully paused and resumed a few times so it could download when I wasn't using my iMac.

Just as with Mavericks, the Yosemite beta installer app (and presumably the Yosemite final installer app) self delete when the install completes. So to save the installer, for example to use on another Mac, copy (option drag) the app out of the Applications folder to somewhere. With Mavericks, the app wouldn't run if it wasn't in the Applications folder, so you need to copy it there if you're using it for another Mac. If you want to make an installer USB flash drive, there are instructions on the web.

When Yosemite is released (Yosemite Gold?), it will merely update the beta, so you won't have to do anything special.

I'm going to switch Time Machine drives before installing Yosemite, so I'll have two recoverable backups of my whole iMac. This will take some time, as Time Machine has 123 GB to copy.

Here's a Macworld article with all the expected warnings. Read it so you don't weep.

And if you want to try Yosemite, understand that you won't have iOS 8, which is necessary for some of the new functions in Yosemite.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:45 pm

No problem so far:
Attachments
yosemite.jpg
yosemite.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
safariyosemite.jpg
safariyosemite.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Yosemite public beta caused a spike in the presence of the OS on the web, according to one analysis company.

Yosemite developer preview (available well before the public beta) outpaced the Mavericks developer preview. (There was no Mavericks public preview).

In all three cases, the percentage of all web traffic is tiny, of course. The points are that a) developers see Yosemite as worth checking out early on and b) the public beta is a big hit with the 1,000,000 people who signed up to download it. (It's entirely possible that not all million have installed.)

http://chitika.com/insights/2014/yosemi ... w-adoption
Attachments
Yosemitebetaadoption.jpg
Yosemitebetaadoption.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Steve Jobs