Macworld on Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Macworld on Yosemite

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Here's a good overview of Yosemite features and changes from Macworld magazine.

First, please, please don't click on the MacKeeper at at the top. (Why, oh why, does this nonsense keep cropping up on otherwise reliable Mac sites?)

Second, realize that the guild of Mac writers requires every article to mention what some minority of Mac users "hate" about some design feature. You can ignore those bits. The writer gives up on that theme pretty soon.
The actual interface changes I've seen mentioned are slight, and in some cases welcome. The "flatter" look, for example, turns the Dock, placed on the bottom of the screen, into what I've always seen because I keep my Dock on the right edge. The former 3D look was what users used to "hate."

Finally, I always skip comments. I recommend that you do too, at least here.

The iPhone connections look great. You do need your iPhone to be within BlueTooth range, not just on the same WiFi network (but not right next to your Mac). So it won't work if you leave your iPhone in the bedroom downstairs and 60 feet west.

Handoff will be, well, very handy.

See this SMUG thread for my comment on Instant Hotspot.

iCloud Drive isn't exactly Dropbox, but with the addition of Mail's integration, it's darned close. In Mail, if you attach a large document (up to 5 GB), Mail automatically puts the attachment in iCloud Drive and creates a link for the e-mail.

AirDrop will be handy too.

OS X Yosemite FAQ
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs