New Maps App

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

New Maps App

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Many, many electrons have been wasted on user "outrage" about the dropping of Google Maps in iOS 6 (about which I've commented elsewhere).

Note that Apple has said that its new Maps app is partly crowd sourced. I've seen one comment online that half a dozen problems encountered in New York were corrected within a couple of weeks.

Here on the North Olympic Peninsula (NOP), I've found that the images in Maps are much, much newer and higher resolution than the ones in Google Maps of yore.
For example, the Google Maps app showed the building my wife works in on the Peninsula College campus as a pile of construction equipment, a several-year-old image. Apple's Maps has it up to date. The image of our house shows our newest car, a 2011 model.

In my first use of Maps, I asked Siri to direct me to the nearest Costco. Unfortunately, it still had the old location. I corrected it, and the last time I looked, searching on "Costco, Sequim" shows the correct location.

MORAL: Take the time to correct Maps if there's something you know about (or find out about) that's incorrect. The Cloud is listening.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: New Maps App

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am

Here's an interesting map-off and Apple's new Maps wins.

Surprisingly, the author is John C. Dvorak, who's made a career of criticizing Apple and its products.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,24 ... X1K0000585
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs