Apple Pay Setup Is Flawless

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Apple Pay Setup Is Flawless

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:44 am

I set up my Apple Pay this morning. I had three credit cards and one debit card I wanted in the app. When I started on the first card I noticed a little blue camera icon so I figured it would take a photo of the card rather than making me enter all the data by hand. This is like your bank's app that lets you scan a check for remote deposit. But unlike my bank's app which typically makes me take the photo more than once Apple Pay grabbed the image the first time. It automatically entered the card number and expiration date. The only manual entering I had to do was the security code. After that I agreed to the legal stuff and the card was ready to use.

Based on the card number it even got the right card image in Apple Pay. When I checked details it had the right address for me, the right billing address for me and the right email address for me. Cool, huh? Then I set up the remaining two credit cards and one debit card and everything just worked each time. Scan, enter security code, agree to the legal mumbo jumbo and I was off to the races.

By the way, the well publicized problem with Apple Pay double billing early use customers wasn't an Apple Pay. problem It was Bank of America's MasterCard that was the problem but a lot of the media said it was an Apple Pay issue. It figures.

Now I just need to find a place to use Apple Pay to see how it works.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple Pay Setup Is Flawless

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Note that you do need to enter the card you use for your Apple Store purchases. That's not automatic.

In a quick look, Home Depot appeared to be the only local store taking ApplePay.

A few months back, I was complaining that I can't wait for merchants to have fingerprint readers. I can barely sign any of the various ones around town, except at Swain's. (But then, I can barely sign on paper.)
Stupidly, it never occurred to me that we'd carry around our own fingerprint readers. (Similarly, I thought Apple would invent a virtual click wheel.)

I do wish Apple would provide a way to add training for fingers. Now if a finger doesn't work consistently, you just have to start over with that finger. It would be great if you could just add a dozen more touches to the database.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:20 pm

I hate to disagree but the first thing Apple Pay said to me was I needed to enter the card used for my Apple purchases. All I had to do was enter my Apple ID password and the security code for that card and it was entered. No muss, no fuss. I didn't even have to scan it because Apple already had all the pertinent information.

Next for Apple Pay should be a way to store/retrieve/display bar codes so you could use Apple Pay for merchant clubs or membership numbers such as COSTCO.
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:03 pm

You can also currently use ApplePay at Walgreens.
Attachments
IMG_1327.png
IMG_1327.png (120.89 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 pm

I hate to disagree but the first thing Apple Pay said to me was I needed to enter the card used for my Apple purchases.
Richard, you're agreeing with me. The card registered with Apple Store for your Apple ID is not automatically set up for ApplePay. You need to get it verified.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
I hate to disagree but the first thing Apple Pay said to me was I needed to enter the card used for my Apple purchases.
Richard, you're agreeing with me. The card registered with Apple Store for your Apple ID is not automatically set up for ApplePay. You need to get it verified.
You're right. I reread your post three times before I realized that my brain added a 'not' which is not there. I need to get my meds adjusted.
---