WiFi Syncing Problems? Try These Suggestions.

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: WiFi Syncing Problems? Try These Suggestions.

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Since November and iOS 8.1.2, WiFi syncing has been steady for me.

However, two times something's happened, and in the same way each time:

1. My iPhone 6 disappears from the iTunes device list.
Plugging the iPhone in with a USB/Lightning cable works. Unplugging causes the iPhone to disappear from the list again.
2. My iPhone loses connection with iCloud. The most obvious symptom is that Reminders won't update.
Trying to log into iCloud in Settings using my password fails.

No other functions of the phone, including LTE and WiFi appear affected.

Powering the iPhone down, then back up fixes both problems. Reminders updates as soon as the iPhone is fully awake and the lock screen is gone. Returning to my office, my iPhone appears in the iTunes device list in a few moments with no action on my part.

This may actually just reset Network settings, but powering down and back up is actually easier.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Following up on this thread, FWIW, this hasn't happened to me since iOS 9 was released and installed on my iPhone. My iPhone is always visible in the iTunes Device menu, and always syncs.

[knocking on wood emoticon]
Steve Jobs

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:14 pm

I cannot receive emails or send emails. The message I receive on my iPhone 4S is that the Wifi is not connected to the server.
However, in "settings" my wifi does show that it is connected.
What gives?
Please help.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 am

georgeandjolie wrote:I cannot receive emails or send emails. The message I receive on my iPhone 4S is that the Wifi is not connected to the server.
However, in "settings" my wifi does show that it is connected.
What gives?
Please help.
Here are a few "restart" steps you can try.

You can restart the WiFi router (eg. DSL modem, Apple AirPort). If your WiFi is otherwise behaving normally, this probably won't help.
You can restart the iPhone. (Hold down the screen lock button until you see Slide to Power Down. Or hold the screen lock button and the Home button until the iPhone shuts down. The start it up again by pressing the screen lock button.)
You can shut down WiFi in Settings. Then start it up again and choose your normal WiFi connection.
You can reset all network settings. Settings > General > Reset This will require you to reenter your WiFi password, and you will lose other WiFi hotspots your iPhone remembers.

If none of that helps, post another message.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:44 pm

If you use Olypen as your ISP they have been experiencing problems lately. I have twice, in the last two weeks, not been able to go online/email because they were "experiencing" problems. I would look at my modem and all of the lights were green showing I was connected. However, Mail would not connect and I would get the same message you mentioned. When I unplugged the power from the modem and waited 30 sec, the internet light came on red. I called Olypen, both times, and yes they were having a problem. It did come back up without me having to do anything with the modem. I guess my point is, call your ISP provider and see if they are having a problem.