Security Flaw

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Security Flaw

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 am

In reference to the security flaw discussed in the General Discussion forum, how do I check to see if our iphone 5c has the latest ios update? I am not familiar enough with the phone to know how to check what system it is using and whether or not it automatically updates the ios.

Thanks

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Security Flaw

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 pm

The updated iOS version is 7.0.6.
You can find which version you have installed in iTunes > youriPhonename > Summary.
You can also find the information on the iPhone in Settings > General > About > Version or Settings > General > Software Update

If you have your iPhone set to download updates automatically in Settings > iTunes & App Store > Updates, the phone will download all updates and then notify you. (I recommend this setting.)

Note that there's a big difference between updating on the iPhone and updating in iTunes. On the iPhone or iPad, iOS downloads a patch for iOS, a delta update. That's quick to download. iTunes, on the other hand, downloads a complete restore package. That can be very slow. If you do one or more delta updates, and need to restore your iPhone, you'll need to wait for a full restore download in iTunes.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Security Flaw

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks Stephen. It had not downloaded the newest iOS update. With your track I was able to update to version 7.0.6 and when I checked the iTunes & App store>updates, after the installation of the updated iOS, the auto update was turned on. The installation of 7.0.6 must have turned on that setting. Per your recommendation I left it turned on.

Thanks again for your excellent help.