Change In Reminders

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Change In Reminders

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 am

One of my big gripes with Calendar but not with its predecessor iCal was the loss of the ToDo column. In Calendar the ToDo feature was replaced with Reminders. Reminders on your Mac, iDevice, or online at iCloud was a joke and in many ways still is. Your couldn't set Reminders to display entries in chronological order. Now what Whiz Kid in Cupertino decided not to allow what is essentially a ToDo list not to display items in chronological order?

But there might be hope yet. With the release of iOS7 for many iDevices you can set Reminders to display the data as "Scheduled" which is really the data entries in chronological order. Yippee! Then I looked online at www.icloud.com and found that Reminders had changed there too. You can set Reminders to display as Scheduled.

So how about the most recent update to the Mac OS (Mountain Lion)? No, Reminders doesn't have the option of Scheduled. But could this be a look at what the next Mac OS (Mavericks) will allow? I sure hope so. Maybe somebody in Cupertino really is listening.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Change In Reminders

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 am

You mean when you click the little clock in the upper right corner?

I have never set up a scheduled reminder, though I do use a location-based reminder.

In Mountain Lion, does the calendar view (tiny calendar icon on the lower left) do what you want?

Also, there must be 10,000 alternative ToDo list apps in the app store.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Below is a screen shot of Reminders in the new iCloud website. If you click Scheduled you'll see your Reminders in chronological order. This is new to the website and also new in iOS7. The Mac OS version of Reminders doesn't have this feature yet.
Attachments
screenshot_194.jpg
screenshot_194.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

So if you look at the calendar view on the Mac and have scheduled reminders, you don't see them? Again, I'm thinking in the dark because all my scheduled stuff is in Calendar, not Reminders.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:So if you look at the calendar view on the Mac and have scheduled reminders, you don't see them? Again, I'm thinking in the dark because all my scheduled stuff is in Calendar, not Reminders.
iCal had a ToDo list column on the right side of the screen. You could hide it if you didn't use it, but I use a ToDo list all the time. When Calendar replaced iCal the ToDo list disappeared. You were supposed to use Reminders. OK, but the big problem for me and lots of others if you check the posts on various forums is that Reminders wouldn't let you list the entries in chronological order.

That's now been fixed for the iCloud and iOS7 Reminders but not the Mac OS version. That's why I'm thinking that when Mavericks is released the Reminders app will have this option.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 am

I suspect you're right about Mavericks. We'll see next month.

Meanwhile, here's how the Mountain Lion Reminders and scheduled reminders look. Reminders appear in the list view in chronological order. And the calendar shows days that have scheduled reminders.
Attachments
scheduled.jpg
scheduled.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Steve Jobs