Mobile Safari Tip: History

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mobile Safari Tip: History

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm

On the Mac, it's well known that Safari keeps links to sites you've visited. I use Safari History almost daily. But I had no idea that Mobile Safari keeps a history as well. Here's how to get it, courtesy of the current Macworld:

In Mobile Safari, touch and hold the back button. A long list of recently visited sites will pop up. Tap an entry to go to that site.

Now that everyone knows how to see your Mobile Safari history, it's obviously necessary to know how to clear this history:

Settings > Safari > Clear History

Whole Hog is your only choice, though if you care to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad, there's an app that lets you delete individual entries.
[If you're even the tiniest bit paranoid about other parties collecting information from your iPhone or iPad, though, I'd have to recommend against jailbreaking. The whole point of jailbreaking is to bypass Apple's layers of protection of your personal information. You have no assurance that an app that does anything with your browsing history doesn't first send that history to a database.]
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mobile Safari Tip: History

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

You can also tap the Bookmarks icon and then the clock icon at the bottom. That will display a History similar to the History on the Mac version of Safari.

But I like your suggestion better. I wasn't aware of holding down the BACK button yielding the History.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 am

History in Mobile Safari differs between the iPhone and the iPad.

On the iPad, as Richard says, tap Bookmarks then the clock icon or tap and hold the back icon to get a history list.
On the iPhone, there's no clock icon.

On the iPad, you can clear history in the History list.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 am

Stephen Hart wrote:On the iPad, as Richard says, tap Bookmarks then the clock icon or tap and hold the back icon to get a history list.
On the iPhone, there's no clock icon.

Good to know. I almost never use my iPhone to surf the web. The image is just too small. So I didn't realize that Safari on an iPhone is different than Safari on an iPad. My bad.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Good to know. I almost never use my iPhone to surf the web. The image is just too small. So I didn't realize that Safari on an iPhone is different than Safari on an iPad. My bad.
It wasn't a bad, it was a lack of information.

I agree that the iPad is much easier to surf with. Here's an example: In setting up our new iPad, I was frustrated to find that The New York Times has weird levels of payment. You have to pay a lot extra to get the iPad app added to a subscription that includes unlimited browser and iPhone app use. I was about to consider that extra cost when I checked just using Mobile Safari. Our current digital subscription works fine there (as well as on our three Macs and two iPhones) and Mobile Safari on an iPad is perfectly usable.

In emergencies, you can use Safari on an iPhone. It helps to turn to landscape mode (literally) and also to become intimately familiar with the two-finger zoom and shrink gesture.
Steve Jobs

lalalola
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by lalalola » Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Many new interesting tips. I will try them.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:54 am

Note that in addition to accessing the iPhone's Safari history using the Bookmarks icon, that you can also access all the tabs currently open on your Mac … if you are syncing with iCloud. (see screenshot)

;)
Attachments
iPhone Safari HIstory2.png
iPhone Safari HIstory2.png (49.38 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.