Mountain Lion reference books

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Mountain Lion reference books

Post by swifty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 am

I notice an abundance of new books out now on mountain lion. I am wondering if anyone has used any of these or maybe has recommendations on which ones are most useful. I have become aware, for instance, of many items that can be revealed through terminal commands, such as listing the System/Library files which are normally hidden in mountain lion. Or else better ways to list devices that are connected. This helped me recently in trying to reconnect to my time capsule which inexplicably became unconnected. There are, I assume, a plethora of such matters that would make it worth while having a reference book handy by. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mountain Lion reference books

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 am

I don't know about any specific books I'd recommend, but I do have a recommendation about Terminal: be careful.

Terminal commands are exceedingly sensitive to typos, including added or missing spaces. Furthermore, I've seen many instances of someone posting a Terminal command, then correcting it hours or days later. Terminal commands in Macworld are probably safe, and the safety goes down as the blog or forum gets sketchier and sketchier.

It's always best to copy and paste Terminal commands if you can.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs