Mail and Redirect?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mail and Redirect?

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:56 am

Maybe the SMUG brain trust can help with this one.

We sent an e-mail, then chose Redirect to send a modified version to another person.

On checking, we see only the redirected e-mail in the mailbox. The original doesn't show up.

But there's more. I thought maybe the original had gotten filtered by accident, so did a search on a text string in the original. Search found the original e-mail and shows it in the expected mailbox. It also has a Redirect icon on it showing that it was redirected. If I then delete the search string, the mail is still not visible in the mailbox. :?:
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Mail and Redirect?

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:11 pm

The whole purpose of Redirect is to pass along an e-mail to someone else who should have been the recipient in the first place ... and the e-mail is of no interest to you.

For example, if person A is mistakenly thanking you for something done by person B, you could redirect the e-mail to person B, who should have been the recipient in the first place. In that way, the "you are welcome" e-mail would go right to person A, and not you.

If you want to get the reply and have a copy of the original e-mail, then you should simply Forward the original e-mail.

;)
Attachments
Redirect.jpg
Redirect.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah. I understand the differences among Forward, Send Again and Redirect. I've never read, nor does it say in Mail Help, that the original is deleted upon redirecting. What Redirect is supposed to do is work like Forward, but with the original sender retained as the sender.

The issue I'm puzzled about is why I can find the original e-mail with contents search in Mail, but can't see it in the mailbox Mail says it's in.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

Here's the solution, supplied by a Macintouch reader:

Adam Wilt
Is it possible that the Re-direct causes Mail to see the original and the re-sent versions as "duplicates"?
Starting in 10.8, Mail hides messages it thinks are duplicates and, in its default configuration, it gives you no indication that such duplicates even exist....
You can use the Terminal command
defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool true
I was able to make the message show with this command, then make it hidden again with the opposite boolean command:
defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool false

I wonder if Apple will make this command obvious in the future. There are other cases when a message might be seen as a duplicate.
Steve Jobs