keystroke delay

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: keystroke delay

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 am

Bob Wiswell wrote:I am experiencing the same delay in using Excel. When I type in a text box I am getting a key stroke delay-the characters don't come up as I type, sometimes.
If the issue only happens in one application, it's that app, not the OS or a different app running in the background. I see this in Dreamweaver in certain situations.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. Nothing is wrong with my Mac. It is running really well. I only had that one problem, and that seems to be gone! If it is not necessary to quit apps then I won't bother. Maybe I was just being overcautious.
I will be taking my Mac on a 5 week trip to Europe, and now I feel confident that I have the perfect traveling companion.
Brian

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I have only noticed this delay in Excel. I haven't had MS Office 2011 very long and I have done very little word processing.

If I am understanding this discussion correctly, I can uncheck, remove, iTunesHelper from my login window and that might help. Is that correct? Do we know what ITunesHelper does? I do use iTunes, mainly to listen to Play Lists that I have created from imported CDs. Remember, this is the only item that shows in my Preferences>Accounts>Login Items list and I am using Snow Leopard. I do not show the AdobeResourceSynchronizer in the Login List.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:If I am understanding this discussion correctly, I can uncheck, remove, iTunesHelper from my login window and that might help. Is that correct?
No.

I would not remove iTunesHelper. It is an app that watches to see if you plug in an iPod (or, presumably, iPhone, iPad) and launches iTunes. It is a legitimate part of iTunes installed by Apple. You can find many identical explanations in a Google search, but put on your ad-protection glasses first, as the ones I found were infested with idiot ads. :)
Furthermore, I've not found any indication of iTunesHelper doing any harm or slowing anything down. I have iTunesHelper as a login item, and have no typing delays in general (see below).

You would only have AdobeResourceSynchronizer, apparently, if you'd installed Adobe Creative Suite 5, and hadn't upgraded. I had CS 5, upgraded to CS 6 and don't have this app.

If you only see the typing delay in one application (Excel), I would assume the fault is that app itself, not anything wrong elsewhere. (I'm shocked, shocked to hear that a Microsoft Office application has bugs!)
In Adobe Dreamweaver (CS 5 and CS 6), for example, text entry is very slow in certain cases. I assume this is a bug in the application. InDesign (CS 5 and CS 6) also has bugs. (I guess I can't use the "shocked" joke again.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs