keystroke delay

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

keystroke delay

Post by brianyoung » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I am experiencing keystroke delay on my new MacBook Air with Mountain Lion. I might have had it when I first got the laptop and had Lion. It is rather disturbing, though not so bad that I can't use the machine. I have Googled this, and have so far not found anything that works, or that I understand. Sometimes it is worse, and seems to be worst in Microsoft Office for Mac. I have Office 2011 for Mac. That program worked great on my old Macbook (white plastic). Some people said to turn off text expander, but I don't think I even have such a thing. I have repaired permissions and rebooted. This problem is sporadic, and is not happening as I type this. Any suggestions?
Brian

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: keystroke delay

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am

Tell us more details.
If you just type, are you seeing the delay, or is it when you try to do multiples of a single character?

Take a look at System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and tell us what you see there.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, when I notice the delay it is as I type. I can be typing away, and then look up and see the characters pop up, well after the keystroke. I guess I should be thankful I am not a speed typer, or this would be extremely aggravating. It is not happening right now as I type this, but it is more prevalent in Word, which I use a lot.
When I open System preferences/user groups/login items, I find i TunesHelper, and AdobeResourceSynchronizer. That is all. I almost never do multiples of a single character, except where they occur naturally in a word.I actually just tried to make it happen, in Word, but it did not. Maybe that is like when you finally take your car to the mechanic because it's missing (the engine that is), and then it just runs great. It seems, from my Google search, that I am not the only one who has experienced this. I will try Apple if it persists. They have been really helpful with tech support.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:25 pm

I suspect that AdobeResourceSynchronizer is the problem. I found a number of references on the web of this app using up 80% of CPU.
You can check this by opening Activity Monitor and clicking the CPU column (you might have to click twice to put the top user at the top).

Here's the deal: I have Adobe CS 6--fully updated, and have Photoshop and Dreamweaver running most of the time. I've had Adobe products since before 2001. And I've never heard of AdobeResourceSynchronizer. It's not on my system now.

So I would start by disabling AdobeResourceSynchronizer. Then restart and run your system for a while.

Feel free to google AdobeResourceSynchronizer and see if you can find any reason it should be running on your Mac.
Steve Jobs

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will try that and report back as soon as I have given it a thorough run. I don't know either why that is running. I have Acrobat Pro X, but it is not something I use every day. I do normally open pdf's in Acrobat, and not the Reader. I will report back.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 am

brianyoung wrote:Thanks for the tip. I will try that and report back as soon as I have given it a thorough run. I don't know either why that is running. I have Acrobat Pro X, but it is not something I use every day. I do normally open pdf's in Acrobat, and not the Reader. I will report back.
AdobeResourceSynchronizer appears to be a component of CS 5. What version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? I have 10.1.4, the current one, and AdobeResourceSynchronizer does not show up in Activity Monitor.

Here's a page that relates to this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/k ... stall.html

You'll have to see whether killing the process in Activity Monitor, solves the problem. Then restart and see if the problem comes back. (AdobeResourceSynchronizer should restart itself on restart.)

It's also possible that there's another process that's running wild. If you find the problem occurring again, open Activity Monitor, choose All Processes and sort by % CPU.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 am

Here's an Apple discussion that describes your issue. It has instructions for removing AdobeResourceSynchronizer from login items.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/38 ... 0&tstart=0

This is also something to check, but it doesn't sound quite like your problems because if you have SlowKeys set, you'd be seeing that all the time:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4557?view ... cale=en_US
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 pm

I am experiencing the same delay in using Excel. When I type in a text box I am getting a key stroke delay-the characters don't come up as I type, sometimes. I am using Snow Leopard and Microsoft Office 2011. When I go to Preferences>Accounts>Login Items I only see iTunesHelper.

I am using a MacBookPro 3.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD with over 450 GB available. I just figured MS Office 2011 doesn't like my older machine.

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks for all of the advice.
It works!!
I also spent hours today Googling this problem, and it was apparent that it has been a real headache for many people.
I did as first suggested: I removed both iTunes Helper and AdobeResourceSynchronizer from the list of login items. I rebooted, and those items do not come back. There are no longer any items in the login list. I also checked the activity monitor, and the only thing in use was the activity monitor itself.I will be more careful in the future to be sure that I quit programs so that they are not open in the background.
And, the keystroke delay is gone (knock on wood!!).
I first tried an ordinary letter in Word, and it went fine. Then I tried just swiping my finger back and forth across the keyboard, faster and faster, until I filled up an entire page with characters. There was never a hitch, not even a microsecond delay. So that seems to work.
There are endless discussions about this needless affliction. It seems that the the Resource Synchronizer has some use for people working on networks. I sure don't need it. I don't need iTunes helper either. Another item that gets a lot of bad press, especially for it's effects on battery life, was Adobe Flash. I have that in my system, but it is not active, as far as I can see. I had thought about deleting these items, but now that they seem to be sidelined I will let it go. There are so many strange things in the applications folder, and I hesitate to delete things if I am not positive that it won't cause problems.
That was the only complaint I had about what otherwise is the best little computer I have. My wife gets the old MacBook, which is also a great machine!
Thanks!
Brian
ps. I have Acrobat Pro X, 10.1.4

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:54 am

I will be more careful in the future to be sure that I quit programs so that they are not open in the background.
Unless something is going wrong, or your Mac has only minimal RAM or your hard drive is nearly full, you shouldn't have to quit apps you're planning to use. (In Mountain Lion, the OS will quit unused apps on its own if it needs resources.)

Also remember that the OS itself consists of dozens of apps that are running all the time.
Steve Jobs