Safari's (v6.0) Send Link Is Gone?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Safari's (v6.0) Send Link Is Gone?

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 am

Now that I've loaded Mountain Lion the new version of Safari seems to be missing the SEND LINK option. Under SHARE I can find "Email This Page" but that sends a copy of the page I'm on and makes for a much larger email message.

Is there still a way to SEND LINK? Where is it?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Safari's (v6.0) Send Link Is Gone?

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 am

If you want the Share button back, control click the button bar and customize the button bar.

The e-mail option for the Share button is e-mail the whole page.

The same e-mail this page function is available in File > Share.

I use a bookmarklet for e-mailing a URL without the page contents. What you do is make a bookmark in the bookmark bar, rename it e-mail URL and replace its URL with this javascript:

Code: Select all

javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='+document.title+'&BODY='+'%3C'+escape(location.href)+'%3E'+('%5Cr%5Cr'+getSelection())
To use this bookmarklet, I select some text on the page (optional) and click e-mail URL. I still have to do a bit of tinkering in the e-mail, but all the information is there.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Boy oh boy, don't I feel silly. I should have checked the customization of the toolbar first.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Boy oh boy, don't I feel silly. I should have checked the customization of the toolbar first.
Wait. Weren't you a teacher? No question is a dumb question. The only dumb option is suffering for lack of asking.

And, by the way, I wasn't born knowing that answer. I just saw the same question and answer somewhere else.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:Boy oh boy, don't I feel silly. I should have checked the customization of the toolbar first.
Wait. Weren't you a teacher? No question is a dumb question. The only dumb option is suffering for lack of asking.

And, by the way, I wasn't born knowing that answer. I just saw the same question and answer somewhere else.
Of course there are dumb questions! Here, try this one on for size? Will you paint my house for me for free?
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Well, it depends on what your definition of "for free" is. I could paint your house. But that'd reduce its value by at least as much as it'd cost for you to get your house painted by a professional. And the professional's job would increase the value of your house.
You do the math. :)

But, to get this back to Macs, I highly recommend the bookmarklet I suggested above. I'm sure it could be improved upon, but it's pretty good as it is. I use it several times a week.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:51 am

I learned this on Macintouch this morning:

In Safari 6, e-mail this page lives in File > Share > e-mail this page. That e-mails the whole page.

Now add the Shift key to the mix and you get e-mail a link to this page. You can press the Shift key before or after opening the menu. That creates an e-mail with a live link to the page.
It does not copy any quotation from the page. However, you could copy the text you want, use the e-mail link menu item and then paste. That's pretty easy.

Note that you can also add Shift to the keyboard shortcut (Cmd Shift I) to get the same effect.

If you do this often, you could use a macro application to make an F Key do this.
Attachments
e-mail-link.jpg
e-mail-link.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:23 am

Stephen Hart wrote:I learned this on Macintouch this morning:

In Safari 6, e-mail this page lives in File > Share > e-mail this page. That e-mails the whole page.

Now add the Shift key to the mix and you get e-mail a link to this page. You can press the Shift key before or after opening the menu. That creates an e-mail with a live link to the page.
It does not copy any quotation from the page. However, you could copy the text you want, use the e-mail link menu item and then paste. That's pretty easy.

Note that you can also add Shift to the keyboard shortcut (Cmd Shift I) to get the same effect.

If you do this often, you could use a macro application to make an F Key do this.
Yah, you could do all that or you could just add the MAIL icon to the toolbar and be done with it. I go for simple solutions myself.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 am

Richard Serkes wrote: Yah, you could do all that or you could just add the MAIL icon to the toolbar and be done with it. I go for simple solutions myself.
Interesting. The tooltip says "mail this web page," but it mails a link to the page.
The Share button, on the other hand, e-mails the whole page. The Shift modifier doesn't work on the Share button.

Anyway, you have a bunch of different ways to achieve what you want.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm

A slick tip I read in Macintouch today:

After using either e-mail link or e-mail this page in Safari, Mail gives you the choice of sending the full page, a pdf attachment of the page or just a clickable URL. You can choose any of the three no matter which you started with in Safari.

(I didn't figure out what the Reader option is, as it was grayed out for me.)
Attachments
sendweb.jpg
sendweb.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Steve Jobs