Mountain Lion Upgrade Experiences

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mountain Lion Upgrade Experiences

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I expect there are some SMUGgers who are wondering whether to upgrade to Mountain Lion and if they decide to, how long to wait.

And some might see comments like I see on Macintouch: "That does it! I'm switching to Windows! (or Linux!)" There are a lot of complaints there along the lines of: "OS X has become iOS." Or: "All the changes are eye candy." Or: "Apple destroyed Safari by taking away X!"

But let's let calmer heads prevail.

Here's my experience so far:

Downloading Mountain Lion took a whole day, but I'm on the minimum DSL. I could have done it overnight, or taken our MacBook Pro to a high-speed internet connection in town.

The install took less than an hour and was completely uneventful on my iMac.
Before I installed on the iMac, I copied Install Mountain Lion.app. I used the copied app to install on our MacBook Pro. That took less than an hour and was uneventful.

All of my settings are just as I left them. (I've seen reports that Firewall is off by default, for example.)

There are a few interface changes in some apps, and there's the Reminder's menubar icon (which I think is a great implementation), but overall, you might not even notice the changes compared to Lion.

There are some app incompatibilities I've noticed, especially in apps that record system sound. That's broken for the moment, but both companies whose apps I have are hard at work on a fix.

So there's no need to fear Mountain Lion. I did make complete clones and made sure Time Machine was up to date, and I recommend that for any OS upgrade.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Mountain Lion Upgrade Experiences

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm

The update was uneventful for me. I started the download the morning 10.8 came out. Probably a bad idea but as 10.8 was downloading on my 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of ram I also did a Time Machine backup. When that completed I quit TM and went to work. Upon return that evening the computer told me the update was ready to install. The first thing I noticed was notifications and no more Google search in the toolbar of Safari. When you want to do a Google search just type what you are looking for in Safari's address field. If you use the Google Chrome web browser you are already familiar with this.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm

I also upgraded, being a real novice I didn't back anything up I just started the download. I don't have that much I could loose and all of it is on the computer (PC) I was using when I bought and started using Mac's and iPads. The down load took about an hour and twenty minutes and the install took about 15 minutes. I noticed the google difference in Safari and Reminders and Notes both are on the tool bar now whick is nice. I do miss the reminders bar on the iCal app but bet if it bothered me that much I could find a way to get it there. It really doesn't and I have been working on other issues which were more important. So far so good.
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Sterling Epps
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sterling Epps » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 am

I downloaded ML in about 1 1/2 hours and installed it in about 15 minutes.

I have had no problems/issues and it appears seamless.

The notice on install stated that I could mark some email senders as VIP and those notices would stand out. I have not been able to find that site or capability. It is a great idea and I hope that I can get it to work. Any ideas on accomplishing this task would be appreciated.

Be safe out there

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:37 am

The notice on install stated that I could mark some email senders as VIP and those notices would stand out. I have not been able to find that site or capability. It is a great idea and I hope that I can get it to work. Any ideas on accomplishing this task would be appreciated.
In a message window, hover over the area with the name. A star will appear to the left of the name. Click the star to designate that person as a VIP.
Attachments
vip.jpg
vip.jpg (12.08 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Sterling Epps wrote:The notice on install stated that I could mark some email senders as VIP and those notices would stand out. I have not been able to find that site or capability. It is a great idea and I hope that I can get it to work. Any ideas on accomplishing this task would be appreciated.
Another way of adding people to your Mail VIP list is to use the contextual menu that can be displayed by either clicking on the small disclosure triangle to the right of the name or by control-clicking (right-clicking with a two button mouse) on the name.

Note the other menu options, also. (first screenshot)

Once you have added people to your VIP list a new mailbox appears in the sidebar.
In the second screenshot below, I can tell that I have three unread messages ... but none from people in my VIP list.

;)
Attachments
VIP2.jpg
VIP2.jpg (116.46 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Mailboxes.jpg
Mailboxes.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 am

I might also add that my 10.8 Lion install cured my snoring and mowed my lawn... :lol:
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Jay Cline wrote:I might also add that my 10.8 Lion install cured my snoring and mowed my lawn... :lol:
It didn't unclog your drain? I'm outraged! Apple's obviously going down the.... (Uh oh. Got stuck in a metaphor mire.)
Steve Jobs

cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cburres » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

Is there any disadvantage to downloading Mountain Lion without first downloading Lion? I've heard it's OK to do so. I'm using 10.6.8 now.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

cburres wrote:Is there any disadvantage to downloading Mountain Lion without first downloading Lion? I've heard it's OK to do so. I'm using 10.6.8 now.
As I see it, the only disadvantage may be if some of your apps work in Lion, but not Mountain Lion. The compatibility table is at http://www.roaringapps.com

The obvious advantage of only downloading Mountain Lion is that you would not have to purchase Lion in addition to Mountain Lion.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.