New Printer in Lion?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

New Printer in Lion?

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Anyone set up a new printer in Lion?
We've had a pretty hard time today. The OS sees a new printer--but only when connected by USB. But even though it says it's getting software, the printer stays unavailable. Installing from the CD gets the printer online, but then Software Update wants to download the software again. So I'm left without knowing whether the software is up to date or not.

And I haven't had any luck at all setting up the printer by way of ethernet.

It's a Canon MX882, which seems pretty solid otherwise.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: New Printer in Lion?

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

So, after a bit of fiddling, I've got the printer working as expected on ethernet from two Macs.. Not for the faint of heart.

And when I installed the software on a second Mac, Software Update fetched an update. I'm not sure if my iMac has that update, but Software Update says I need nothing.
Now what I'd like to see is an automatic download of all software, not just driver updates.

Ideally, I'd also like the printer to work from the MacBook Pro when it's unwired. Tomorrow is another day.

BTW, except for the connection issues, the Canon MX882 looks like a good all-in-one. And it's for sale at Costco.
It feels reasonably sturdy.
It's on the big and fat side, and reminds one of Darth Vader in its shiny blackness, but it:
[Note: I've only tested a few of these features.]

does color and black and white copies directly from the machine
prints a variety of stock thicknesses, envelopes and photo paper from a rear tray
scans
prints from camera cards
prints and copies two-sided
sends and receives faxes
copies multiple pages
prints on photo paper with several ink colors, so it should be reasonable for moderate-sized photos
has usb, ethernet and wireless connectivity [I don't yet know if you can set it up for both wireless and ethernet.]

Our interest is mainly in replacing an HP Inkjet printer. HP hasn't updated the drivers for Lion yet, so it just doesn't work in Lion. It did print on CDs, though.
I see us using photo printing, occasional color plain-paper printing and copying. We'll test the scanner to compare it to our HP stand-alone scanner.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 am

So I think there may be a problem in how Lion handles new printers. It detects a printer as it's plugged in. And it asks if you want to get/update the drivers for the printer. You have no choice except cancel. But if Software Update doesn't find the software, you're stuck there.

This happens if you remove a printer and go to add it back. Even though the software is on your Mac, Software Update wants to update it when you add a printer. Then if it can't find the software for whatever reason, you're stuck.

This happened when we were trying to use an older HP printer for the first time in Lion. It wouldn't work. So I removed the printer and went to add it back. But SU couldn't find any HP drivers for the printer, and I could not add it. Now this may well have happened because the old driver won't work in Lion. And HP hasn't released updated drivers yet (and may never).
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:55 pm

BTW, today I got a Canon printer update, two days after it showed up on our MacBook Pro. So all seems to be well with the new printer. Pretty confusing, though.
Steve Jobs

briant30
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briant30 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I should have gotten a new Canon Pixma MX882. This one is on wifi right? and i saw some unit under $200. I think this is way better than the Epson CX that i have now. I like a colored inkjet all in one printer but i must admit i really like the design and i know a little about its printing features and capabilities but i would need one that has versatile paper handling. I will printing in a lot of forms. However, i am sure that i cannot use re manufactured ink with it if i want to get best print results. Can this be used